dual boot question

mad1234 13:32 05 Oct 07

Hi guys!
have just been to staples & bought a hp pavillion pc off the shelf with windows vista. haven't taken it out the box yet!
i have an old pc which this one will replace which runs windows me.
my question is is it possible to put the harddrive with me into the new pc as a slave & create a dual boot menu as i don't want to loose the emails on the old pc

thanks mad

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 05 Oct 07

You can save/ backup your emails.

Back up and recover Outlook Express
click here
Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

Your ME HDD will not run on the new machine as all the drivers will be wrong for the motherboard graphics etc.

Although you could connect the drive as slave and use for extra storage. If opening the box invalidates the warrenty connect the drive into a n external caddy and connect by USB.

mad1234 14:02 05 Oct 07

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\
when i copy these files onto the new pc does it matter that they are from a fat32 system?

Quiet Life 14:38 05 Oct 07

It could be handy to have a second drive for storage and back up and HP give details about how to install on their site. It is not possible to do this on all HP models but there is no guarantee problem in opening an HP machine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:41 05 Oct 07

does it matter that they are from a fat32 system?

No

they will still work the files are not different it is just the way they are orgnised on the disk.
that is different between FAT and NTFS.

mad1234 14:43 05 Oct 07

Quiet Life
thats handy to know.
i am going to put the old HD in as a backup but without booting up ME i don't know how to read the emails on that drive except of doing it the way Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested

mad1234 07:31 08 Oct 07

all sorted now. thanks for the help guys:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…