Dual Boot question

richierich 20:33 12 Dec 04

Want to create dual boot system giving me the option of XP or win2k.
presently have xp on C; drive partition and intend to put win2k on D: partition of same drive.
All programmes and data on C:.If I load win2k on D and boot up can i access data on C:

Diodorus Siculus 20:43 12 Dec 04

Yes, that should work fine for you; you will need to install your programs on Win2k as well as them being on winXP.

You can share all data between the two operating systems.

richierich 22:07 12 Dec 04

Just tried it,
Installed Win2k on second partition, on boot up gives me the option of the 2 op systems, win2k works fine, but xp refused to boot.
I reinstalled a ghost backup of xp and it boots fine but doesnt give me the option of win 2k. Its still there on second partition though.

richierich 22:08 12 Dec 04

Just tried it,
Installed Win2k on second partition, on boot up gives me the option of the 2 op systems, win2k works fine, but xp refused to boot.
I reinstalled a ghost backup of xp and it boots fine but doesnt give me the option of win 2k. Its still there on second partition though.

richierich 22:08 12 Dec 04

Just tried it,

Muckle 22:15 12 Dec 04

If you run msconfig in XP and go to the boot.ini tab and check all boot paths you might get somewhere. Ideally Win 2K should be installed first or use a partition manager to install it.

dan 11 22:23 12 Dec 04

You cannot install an older version of windows, to dual boot from XP.It's just like sticking a windows 98 disk in XP and asking it to wipe over XP. It won't have it.

The usual route is to install the older operating system first, then install XP. This will put the dual boot loader on.

The other option is to scour the web for a free boot loader or to buy one.

richierich 22:29 12 Dec 04

Why would it make a differnce what order they are put on if they are on separate partitions anyway.
I did put 2000 on afterwards and it booted OK. I just couldnt boot xp even though it showed as an option. Once 2000 had booted I checked xp was still on the other partiton - it was. The only way I could get xp to boot was to reload a ghost image of it on again.
What is a boot loader please.

richierich 22:29 12 Dec 04

Why would it make a differnce what order they are put on if they are on separate partitions anyway.
I did put 2000 on afterwards and it booted OK. I just couldnt boot xp even though it showed as an option. Once 2000 had booted I checked xp was still on the other partiton - it was. The only way I could get xp to boot was to reload a ghost image of it on again.
What is a boot loader please.

dan 11 22:42 12 Dec 04

Because with windows it will let you upgrade and not downgrade.

An upgrade is going from windows 2000 to XP, because it sees XP as an improvement over 2000.

A downgrade is going from XP, this is to the extreme, windows 95.

It's just like asking windows to format C, it will not cut it's own throat or be downgraded to what it see's as an inferior operating system. Don't blame me, it's the way the code writers have done it. :-)

Boot loaders click here=

richierich 22:47 12 Dec 04

fair enough. If thats the case it is too much bother for me to reload my xp with all the related programmes. If it wont work off a ghost image I will leave it for another time.
thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…