dual boot query

mettis 14:13 25 Jun 10

can a dual boot operate a system
that has os on seprate hard drives.i am currently using xp home and do not wish to lose current data.i would like to install windows 7 on a new system that has sata hard drive whilst xp is on older ide drive that i want to transfer into new base unit.any advice welcomed

gazzaho 14:23 25 Jun 10

I use two drives on my system, but it has a boot manager built into the BIOS. This enables me to select the drive I wish after tapping the F8 key at the right moment in the boot process.

In short yes you can with a boot manager, try googling for boot manager and see if you can find more information/software to allow it. It might also be worth checking your motherboard manual to see if your system has one built in as it may not be noticable at boot time, it was a while before I noticed the one on my system.

QuizMan 16:18 25 Jun 10

Windows 7 should detect any existing operating systems, provide you with a choice of which drive to use and build in a boot manager for you.

The only problem I can foresee is when you put the XP drive in the new machine. Microsoft may need you to re-activate XP.

In your situation, I would transfer the old XP drive first and get that up and running before you run the W7 installation disk.

karmgord 20:47 25 Jun 10

Yes,I have WinXP Pro on my D drive and Win98SE on my primary C drive.
Usually the older (1st) system resides on the primary drive.

woodchip 20:51 25 Jun 10

I do it with Win98se and XP home, Best way is remove your XP drive then setup 7 on the new drive then use a seperate Boot manager instead of windows after you refit the XP drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant