Dual boot problem xp / 98

seedie 18:53 09 Nov 04

Two HDs both will boot independently via the BIOS.
Have xp pro on drive 0 and 98 on drive 1 both on active partition 1 here is copy of boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98 SE"

xp will boot on default, trying to boot 98 gives error about wrong config

Been messing with this for 3days now and have to admit di feet, all help appreciated.

Thanks
CD

GrahamP 20:22 09 Nov 04

To set up an XP/98 dual boot system you need to install 98 first then XP. XP will then overwrite the 98 boot sector with one of its own and set up the necessary boot files on the 98 partition.
You must use the Advanced Options of XP setup to specify the alternate hard drive. Otherwise it just upgrades the 98 system

It is possible to fix this afterwards. In theory the Recovery Console commands:

Bootcfg
Fixboot
Fixmbr

should help you sort it out.

However I have had mixed success with these and ended up copying the necessary files myself.

How did you get to your current position?

seedie 07:46 10 Nov 04

Got to this position by buying a new drive when got xp. Have drives on caddies and left the 98 one out when installed xp.

Dug out Boot Magic and put that on and it's solved it. hve to say now that now I'm getting used to xp I don't often boot 98.

Thanks again; consider it resolved.

CD

GrahamP 13:57 16 Nov 04

Yes, installing XP without the 98 HD present would give you this problem.

Glad to hear you have sorted it out with Boot Magic. Microsoft's native multiboot options are a pig.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…