dual boot os with redhat linux and win xp

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 11:02 03 Jun 03

i am in the process of downloading redhat linux from my isp, force9. and want to install it along side my win xp pro os on a partition.

i have partition magic 8 and want to make a partition just for the linux os, can i do this and what size partition will i need to run redhat, also how to i go about installing it to make my computer a dual boot system? the download will be finished after i get in from work and i eagerly await your advice.

thanks

flecc 11:51 03 Jun 03

The partition size for the Red Hat depends on how many apps you intend to run on it, but as you already have the XP working for you, about 2 gb for the Linux should be sufficient. However, most Red Hat versions will not see your Windows data partitions by default and if you wish to use those you'll need to configure it to do that. Come back for advice on that when you're ready. If however you want to keep the data the Red Hat uses separately with it, you'll need to make it's partition big enough for that.

Thee's also the question of the file system that you're using with the XP, NTFS or FAT 32. I don't know if Linux can see NTFS, someone else may be able to advise on that.

Assuming that's not a problem, just run the Red Hat installation and choose your new second partitiion for it and it should install without problems and will provide the Boot Menu at bootup automatically.

Tesman 12:50 03 Jun 03

I would give Red Hat a good bit more than 2gb if you want to run a decent range of programs - if you can spare it, between 5-8gb would be ideal. Don't forget that Linux needs free space rather than a seperate partition, as it will create and format it's own partitions and swap space during the install process.

The actual installer is very simple and intuitive as I remember, and it's simply a matter of following it through. One thing, though - choose the "Workstation" option as this will give you a better selection of programs.

And yes, Red Hat should be able to see an NTFS partition, although I don't think this is enabled by default. If not, it should be relatively simple to organise.

Good luck with it, though. Personally, I never really got on with Red Hat for reasons I won't bore you with, so I'd be interested to know what you think.

flecc 13:02 03 Jun 03

Ditto with Tesman, I have Red Hat 8 on a partition at the moment but I'm not keen on it for various reasons.

If you only want to try out Linux initially to see if you like it, you could try the Knoppix "Linux on a CD" which includes a good range of programs and gives you a chance to experience it without changing anything on your computer.

The CD will cost you £2 from:-

click here

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 17:48 03 Jun 03

i am about to install it so i will keep you all posted on my progress

Kitz E Kat 18:40 03 Jun 03

I had Red Hat 7.2 and could not make head nor tail of it, i got RH8 and find that much better, it has a good range of drivers, found most of my hardware, note MOST . I would defo say you need an alternative for a lot of apps. A dual boot is an ideal way to suss it out.I picked Install everything and it took about 6 MB of disk space. It is , i think a nice OS, worth a good look at least.

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 18:45 03 Jun 03

would the instalation set my comp up as a dual boot? and to do it would i just select boot from disk first and follow the insructions as it is saved to disk as an .iso

powerless 18:59 03 Jun 03

"would the instalation set my comp up as a dual boot?"

Yes and no.

If you want it to then just let it have its way.

If you do not want it to tell it to create a boot disc, so when you start your computer you will boot into windows. When you want to boot into linux stick the floppy disc in.

Its all done for nothing really to do. Apart from telling it to create a boot disc.

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 19:03 03 Jun 03

thanks for the answers so far, but i cannot boot from the cd. is it something to do with the .iso file extension? i cant double click it. how do i install it from this .iso?

i have 2 discs with it on

powerless 19:08 03 Jun 03

You cannot intsall it from the .iso.

You have to burn the CD. You actually burn the ,iso file. When the file is burn't you should see the folders and files of Linux. The boot files will also be in there allowing a boot from the CD.

Have you burned the CD. Its (in Nero) is called "Burn Image" you burn the .ios file to CD.

Have you done this?

ΆØL HåŁęŖ 19:11 03 Jun 03

i have burned the file to cd with nti cd maker and it is on the cd as an 7.0-respin-disc1.iso

for disk one and the same for disc 2. just the one file though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…