Dual boot - internet connection

twolf 09:03 15 Oct 07

Hi

I've recently installed a second internal hard drive.
The original drive runs Vista, the second drive I have installed XP. This is all working fine and I can select which operating system to use on start-up.

My problem is that, on the new drive with XP installed, i can't connect to the internet. I have an 'always on' cable connection and the PC connects to a router. I've been through the set-up up wizard in XP and followed the built in help. When I go to 'network' it seems I am actually connected to the LAN but I have no IP address or server details (which should be filled in automatically) if I click to 'repair this connection', as instructed in the help, I get the message saying could not repair, please see the system administrator.

Technotiger 09:25 15 Oct 07

Hmm, one would assume you have ticked the boxes to 'never dial a connection' and LAN - Automatically detect settings!

twolf 10:02 15 Oct 07

Yes, I have. Thanks. It seems that LAN isn't automatically detecting the settings, as boxes for ip address, and server settings are all empty

brundle 10:07 15 Oct 07

Go to start menu/run, type

Services.msc

Press return

Makes DHCP Client is Started and set to Auto, if not change the settings so it is.

Go to start menu/run, type

cmd

press return

now type

ipconfig /all

at the command prompt and press return

what do you get?

brundle 10:07 15 Oct 07

Note the space in "ipconfig /all"

twolf 10:33 15 Oct 07

Hi

DHCP client is started and set to auto.

When I did the ipconfig /all prompt it says:
Windows IP Configuration
but then it is blank where it would usually dislay the settings :-(

twolf 10:44 15 Oct 07

ooops! Really sorry to waste your time, I've just realized what I've done! I've just found another CD I had with the PC which has the 'XP drivers' on, I was installing the Vista drivers!!! Sorry again!

Technotiger 20:29 15 Oct 07

Not to worry, as long as all is well now. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…