Dual boot Hair pulling out stage

jonnytub 21:59 21 Jan 04

Hi everyone, after a recent post on this subject i found myself full of confidence in creating a dual boot system on my laptop. I had problems to say the least. I would like to partition my hdd into 2 drives, c and d. I would then like to install 98se onto the c drive (2gb after partitioning) and xp onto the remaining space in d drive (27gb). 98se is a full copy. The xp pro disc is an upgrade i originally bought for my desktop. Is there anyone out there that can give me step by step, baby talk description of just how i go about this starting with formatting, fdisking (partioning)and installing. Previous attempts got me so close but no cigar. Thanks to all who respond for your time

jonnytub 22:24 21 Jan 04

bump

dazzling (work) 22:34 21 Jan 04

whats the state of play at the moment do you have your two partitions.darren

User-312386 22:38 21 Jan 04

i bet you got to the formatting screen and it was a never ending circle?

Tell me if i am wrong and where did you get to, you said you got "so close"?

jonnytub 22:44 21 Jan 04

deleted all partitons and i'm installing 98 which is currently formatting the drive.

Madboy-youre wrong ;)

I got to install 98 on c drive, i had to install 98 on d drive and then attempt to upgrade with xp cd. finished installing and couldnt get 98 to then boot. no little screen at boot as which os i want to load up.,

jonnytub 22:46 21 Jan 04

continued from last post, xp was the only one i could boot and i could see the c drive with 98 on.

jonnytub 23:03 21 Jan 04

forgot to mention that the partition sizes and stuff were reported crrectly c: 2gb d: 27gb so i must of done the fdisk thing right, right ??? I think im going wrong with the xp installation. either that or my upgrade cd is no good and i need a full copy.

jonnytub 23:10 21 Jan 04

i have conquered the beast that is dual booting, it was a lot easier than i thought, i guess i just over complicated it. THanks guys

User-312386 01:54 22 Jan 04

tell eveyone where you went wrong so others can learn

thanks

frazky 03:42 22 Jan 04

would not keeping a powerquest®driveimage of each system and loading them one at a time avoid conflicts- easy especially on todays huge and fast HD's?

frazky 03:43 22 Jan 04

and I also 2nd madboy33's query please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…