Dual boot Hair pulling out stage

jonnytub 21:59 21 Jan 04

Hi everyone, after a recent post on this subject i found myself full of confidence in creating a dual boot system on my laptop. I had problems to say the least. I would like to partition my hdd into 2 drives, c and d. I would then like to install 98se onto the c drive (2gb after partitioning) and xp onto the remaining space in d drive (27gb). 98se is a full copy. The xp pro disc is an upgrade i originally bought for my desktop. Is there anyone out there that can give me step by step, baby talk description of just how i go about this starting with formatting, fdisking (partioning)and installing. Previous attempts got me so close but no cigar. Thanks to all who respond for your time

jonnytub 22:24 21 Jan 04

bump

dazzling (work) 22:34 21 Jan 04

whats the state of play at the moment do you have your two partitions.darren

User-312386 22:38 21 Jan 04

i bet you got to the formatting screen and it was a never ending circle?

Tell me if i am wrong and where did you get to, you said you got "so close"?

jonnytub 22:44 21 Jan 04

deleted all partitons and i'm installing 98 which is currently formatting the drive.

Madboy-youre wrong ;)

I got to install 98 on c drive, i had to install 98 on d drive and then attempt to upgrade with xp cd. finished installing and couldnt get 98 to then boot. no little screen at boot as which os i want to load up.,

jonnytub 22:46 21 Jan 04

continued from last post, xp was the only one i could boot and i could see the c drive with 98 on.

jonnytub 23:03 21 Jan 04

forgot to mention that the partition sizes and stuff were reported crrectly c: 2gb d: 27gb so i must of done the fdisk thing right, right ??? I think im going wrong with the xp installation. either that or my upgrade cd is no good and i need a full copy.

jonnytub 23:10 21 Jan 04

i have conquered the beast that is dual booting, it was a lot easier than i thought, i guess i just over complicated it. THanks guys

User-312386 01:54 22 Jan 04

tell eveyone where you went wrong so others can learn

thanks

frazky 03:42 22 Jan 04

would not keeping a powerquest®driveimage of each system and loading them one at a time avoid conflicts- easy especially on todays huge and fast HD's?

frazky 03:43 22 Jan 04

and I also 2nd madboy33's query please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac