Dual boot on different hard drives

zigg 23:47 12 Feb 04

I have a Win 98 system with 2 hard drives. Can I install Win xp on the second drive while keeping Win 98 on the first drive? If so I have some other questions:
Should I change the jumper settings on the 2 drives to ensure that Win xp installs on my second drive or is it better just to disconnect the power cable to the first drive when installing xp on the second drive.
Also
If I can have a different operating system on each drive, how does the computer know which operating system to boot from. Will the starting up screen give me a choice of which op system to boot from?
Any advice appreciated

powerless 23:56 12 Feb 04

"Can I install Win xp on the second drive while keeping Win 98 on the first drive?" - Yes you can!

"Should I change the jumper settings on the 2 drives to ensure that Win xp installs on my second drive or is it better just to disconnect the power cable to the first drive when installing xp on the second drive." - Set the jumpers for master and slave configuration and leave both drives connected when you install XP to the second hard drive. XP will "see" the 98 installation and make the chnages to give you a dual boot system.

"Also If I can have a different operating system on each drive, how does the computer know which operating system to boot from. Will the starting up screen give me a choice of which op system to boot from?" - Yes the XP installation will make the changes so that you have two options to choose from when you start your computer. By default it will boot into XP with a count down. You can in/decrease the countdown and chnage the defualt target OS.

MAJ 23:58 12 Feb 04

When in Windows 98, insert the XP CD, it will autorun, choose the clean install option rather than the upgrade option, it will offer you the choice where to install, choose your second hard drive. You don't need to disconnect the second hard drive. When you boot the computer after installing XP, you will have the choice to boot to Win 98 or XP, if you don't choose it will default to boot to XP after 30 seconds.

zigg 00:00 13 Feb 04

You have answered all my questions. Many thanks!

zigg 00:03 13 Feb 04

Thanks Maj also!

billyliv 00:05 13 Feb 04

Hi, I have Xp Home on HDD 0 and Red Hat Linux on HDD 1. Under normal circumstances (for me) my machine boots into XP. If I want to boot into Linux, I change the boot up order in Bios. ie. first boot HDD 1. I am quite happy with this set up, and it doesn't cause any problems. Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…