Dual boot & the boot.ini file

Somewhere95 20:52 17 Jul 03

PLEASE can someone help?! I've got Win98SE on a small partition at the start of my drive (G:), then WinXP Pro on the main partition (C:) I know there's a way of editing the boot.ini file so I get the dual boot start-up menu options. As it is now, to switch O/S, I must launch FDISK, then change the active partition. Below is my current boot.ini file for reference:

[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

powerless 00:53 18 Jul 03

[boot loader]

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(****)\WINDOWS="win 98"

**** enter the partition number here.

Restart and you'll be given the choice. See if it works. If you get a message about "hal" bugger, never been able to sort that out.

hugh-265156 01:32 18 Jul 03

try boot magic(bundled with partition magic)or system commander.

stlucia 08:37 18 Jul 03

I installed Win XP Home Edition alongside Win 98SE, and during the install I was given the option to setup a dual-boot system, which I did. My boot.ini file -- created automatically by the XP setup process -- contains only two lines, just like the example Powerless has given.

I don't think there was a requirement for Win 98 to be on c:\ drive, so inserting the appropriate partition numbers for XP and 98 should do the trick. No need to buy or use any 3rd-party software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…