dual boot backup query

dazzling 19:19 01 May 03

i have dual boot system xp pro\win98se.xp installed first then 98 via flecc's method with partition magic and boot magic.xp is ntfs and 98 fat 32 on two partitions same drive.what i would like to know is if i image both partitions from each o\s will i be able to restore them later.if disaster strikes i could format harddrive partition it half ntfs and half fat 32 and restore both images will it work as before,i cant see a problem but you never know any thoughts?cheers darren.

rmn 21:51 01 May 03

bump

zanwalk 22:43 01 May 03

You don't say which imaging software you will be using, I assume Drive Image. If so, the best way will be to run DI from the floppies, as you will then be able to see and image both partitions from DOS. In any case, W98 will not recognise NTFS partitions.

zanwalk 22:46 01 May 03

You will need a seperate partition to store the images on unless your CD-RW is supported by DI, in which case the images can be written direct to CD-R.

rmn 00:14 02 May 03

im using di 2002 and cd writer is suppourted xp is already backed up to cdr as it was origionally there.all ive done is pinched a bit of the hd and put 98 on it plus the trick stuff pm 8 and bm 8 so i assumed i would just copy that partition to cdr aswell.then if it ever goes wrong i can reinstall one side or the other or both.will that work.cheers darren\dazzling\rmn

zanwalk 08:36 02 May 03

Yes, I don't see a problem with that, in any case, DI will let you know if the attempt was unsuccessful.

dazzling 16:40 02 May 03

many thanks thought it should be just dont have the courage of my convictions,need someone to tell me im right unless ive done it several times.cheers darren

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…