Dual boot: 98 partition does not boot - Help!

Tj_El 19:43 17 Jan 04

Hi,

I made a huge mistake which in converting to NTFS all my drives incl the partition of my 98SE install (!!!) so I used PM to reverse this... phew... or so I thought. I can't boot into the 98 system...

My boot loader looks like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=8

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Is there anything obviously wrong with this and if not what have I corrupted and how can I fix this?

Help required please.

sincerely embarrassed...
Tj_El

woodchip 19:46 17 Jan 04

Start with 98 floppy disc then type FDISK/MBR and restart comp

Tj_El 19:50 17 Jan 04

Cheers woodchip,

I'll do that and post back hopefully with closure.

Happy New Year btw :-)

woodchip 19:55 17 Jan 04

It should get you back to 98

Tj_El 20:03 17 Jan 04

Oh dear,

That did not work...

Both installs are on the same HDD - would that make any difference?

woodchip 20:06 17 Jan 04

If I was you I would us PM and remove the Partitions other than 98 unless you have some Docs etc on them. then try the above again as that should get 98 working

woodchip 20:07 17 Jan 04

If it does not,,,, reload Win98 over it's self from DOS with the 98 boot disc, as this will not harm your files

woodchip 20:08 17 Jan 04

PS if I was you I would also stick to Fat32 unless you have a reasone for changing

LastChip 20:44 17 Jan 04

Your boot.ini file, does not point to your '98 operating system at all.

However, before you carry out the following, copy your boot.ini file and save as boot.old, you can always use it as a replacement if things go pear shaped

Under this line;

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect C:\="Microsoft Windows"

create a new seperate line as follows; (assuming your '98 is on C:)

C:\="Microsoft Windows"

EXACTLY as above.

I would also increase the timeout to 30 (timeout=30). Eight seconds is not long to think about what your doing during a boot sequence when your trying to troubleshoot problems.

You should then get a screen on bootup, offering you a choice between '98 and XP. Use the up/down arrows to select a choice and keep your finger crossed!

Whether it will work or not, remains to be seen, as the fact you changed your format to NTFS is at the moment, an unknown!

tafoody 21:05 17 Jan 04

why not try installing 'bootmagic' in XP, and see if that will let you get into 98.

tafoody 21:11 17 Jan 04

also in XP, you could run MSCONFIG, i think its under 'boot.ini' you can 'check boot paths' this may offer to add win98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…