dual boot

crusty 07:29 10 Sep 04

I am currently running my system with win2000 proffessional. I have a second hard drive installed and wish to install win 98 s/e onto this. I have tried to do this and got the error mesage that i would have to install from dos. How do i do this without having to uninstall win2000 first.

SEASHANTY 07:56 10 Sep 04

There is some information on this website
click here

SEASHANTY 08:03 10 Sep 04

More discussion on this forum also
click here

SEASHANTY 08:07 10 Sep 04

MS-DOS can apparently be downloaded from this website click here

Jeffers22 08:19 10 Sep 04

If your second hard drive is formatted as FAT or FAT 32.

Download a Win98 boot disk from click here and transfer it to a floppy. Reboot the PC with the floppy in A: making sure you select the "Start with CDROM support" option.

From the A:\ prompt type F:\setup (if F: is the letter of your CDROM. When you are asked where you want to install W98, make sure you choose the new blank hard drive.

Jeffers22 08:21 10 Sep 04

Forgot to say: Put W98 CD in drive after booting from floppy.

Jeffers22 08:25 10 Sep 04

Do NOT download DOS - you do not need it. W98 is DOS based and all you need is a W98 boot floppy - download that.

temp003 09:21 10 Sep 04

Your present active partition is on the 1st hard drive with w2k. If it is using NTFS, you won't be able to install or boot 98 from that partition.

What you could do is disconnect the w2k hdd (by just disconnecting the IDE connection or power cable). Connect the 2nd hdd, set it as master for the time being, then boot up the computer with a 98 floppy and install 98 in the normal way. Just install the bare 98 OS first.

After that's done, reconnect the w2k and set it as master, the 98 hdd as slave (if you put them on the same channel). Start the computer and it will boot into w2k as normal.

Then go and download a boot manager such as OSL2000 click here. Install it, and if asked to create backup floppy, do so. After installation of OSL2000, restart computer and you will get a table of partitions on your hdds for you to choose from. Choose the partition where 98 is installed or the w2k partition and you will boot into the respective OS.

Before you isntall OSL2000, read up on the instructions and make sure that you don't have software incompatible with OSL2000 (basically software that needs to rewrite the MBR).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…