Dual boot

Muckle 00:00 30 Sep 03

I needed some practice with Win2K so installed it on 2nd physical hard drive and it worked fine, unfortunately WinXP home now won't boot.
Have tried to load repair console but XP came preloaded and I don't seem to have the admin password!
Not sure how to get XP back - can anyone help

Muckle 00:19 30 Sep 03

The message I get when trying to start XP Home is:
Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMd
Ever wish you hadn't started something!!

MichelleC 09:44 30 Sep 03

I can give you a fix to find admin password, but only if you have xp os disc.

other thing to try is editing boot.ini

Chief-Engineer 16:40 30 Sep 03

It sounds like your second drive has been made the 'active' drive to boot an o/s from.
In BIOS set your computer to boot from your 'A' drive first, then reboot using a floppy start up disk (Win98 will do)and when loaded type FDISK and check to see if your disk or partition containing your XP o/s (usually called 'C') is set as active (using option four), if not, set it as active (through option two). As you can only have one disk or partition set as active
you should now, after removing the floppy, be able to to boot into XP. Should you wish to have a dual boot system the easiest way is with a boot manager utility.

Muckle 17:47 30 Sep 03

Yes I do have the XP disc which is what I use to get as far as repair console when it asks for the admin password

Muckle 17:49 30 Sep 03

Thanks for that I will give it a try - I didn't realise fdisk had those facilities!
Never used a boot manager before - do you have any recommendations?

John-259217 18:13 30 Sep 03

but in case you don`t, XP home is normally supplied with a blank admin password, just hit return at the prompt and select the O/S you want the recovery console to log onto (you must make this selection even if there is only one O/S installed although in your case both XP and 2K should appear).

Sorry again if you`ve already tried this :-)

John

MichelleC 19:55 30 Sep 03

If the aboves don't work this is the way:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD
>2- press enter to start setup
>3- press F8 for the license agreement
>4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so
>5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing
>devices then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until
>it is registering components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt.
>6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command
>prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks
>and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the
>regular control panel in 2000.
>7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply
>settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that
>just setup is running again.
>8- let the inplace upgrade finish
>
>The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall
>the programs like in a parallel install.

Chief-Engineer 21:29 30 Sep 03

'Partition Magic' by Powerquest has a boot manager and is very user friendly or there is 'Mattsoft Boot Manager' but these you have to buy or one from click here if you don't mind being reminded that you have not 'registered' your copy.
XP has got its own multiboot capability but you need to have the other o/s installed first and a clean partition or hard drive on which to install XP. You also have to have XP on a CD.
During XP installation you choose 'New Installation (Advanced). Click the 'Advanced options button' in Setup Options dialog box then select 'I want to choose the install drive letter and partition during setup'.
You then just follow the Wizard.
When finished installing XP on startup you will be asked which o/s you wish to boot into.

powerless 23:15 30 Sep 03

click here

To work around this issue, start the computer in Windows 2000, and then copy the NTLDR and Ntdetect.com files from the I386 folder on the Windows XP CD-ROM to the root of the system drive...

Does this apply ;-)

Muckle 13:26 01 Oct 03

Thanks I'll give it a try
I have managed to get the XP Cd to try to repair the XP installation and now no longer get the original message, but instead the sytem hangs during XP boot and just won't go any further!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…