Dual Band Wifi on new laptop or upgrade

blagger 23:35 14 Apr 15

I am looking to buy a new/second hand laptop, it needs to have dual band wifi or alternatively I should be able to install a dual band wifi card in it. Having looked at new dual band laptops with a fairly decent spec I may want to go for an older spec laptop which could save me money.

So what I need to know is how can I check if a certain laptops wifi card can be changed to a dual band one without having the laptop with me. What do I need to look for and where? Can you change the wifi cards on all laptops?

Also am I right in saying that for new laptops that state "802.11a/b/g/n/ac" or "802.11ac" are the dual band ones (ac being the keyword)?

The reason I am looking for a dual band wifi laptop/card is because when I am round my parents house, who have a virgin router, the 2.4ghz connection is always disconnecting, however devices on the 5ghz connection always seem to be stable. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…