dsl or usb

jtw 16:45 18 Jul 04

Am a beginner with wireless broadband connections. Bought a linksys wireless router (on ebay). I have a usb speed touch broadband modem.
When I come to connect it all it seems I need a dsl modem as there is nowhere to plug my usb.
What is dsl modem? How much? Where do I get one?
Will any work with my linksys router? Are they easy to set up?

DOH!!!

Graham ® 16:52 18 Jul 04

Your speedtouch modem IS an ADSL modem.

pmjd 16:53 18 Jul 04

First question, what wireless router did you buy? Just in case you had the good luck to get one that has a ADSL modem built it.

If you need to get one they are easily available. I had a quick look on ebuyer and they range from £16
click here
to the £50
click here

If you are going to be using wireless BB connection please remember to activate the security settings to stop anyone snooping or using your connection.

Cheers,
Paul

jtw 16:59 18 Jul 04

OK Graham. How do I plug my usb into the router which is just a router (wireless g broadband)?

pmjd 17:01 18 Jul 04

That is true but the problem is jtw really needs an ethernet based modem not a USB one, as it will not plug in to the router.

jtw, to explain a few other bits I forgot to mention in my first post.
You will need to buy an ethernet based dsl modem. This will replace the USB one you currently have.
Using a network cable connect to the new modem with your computer in order to give it all the settings it needs, i.e. username & password, to connect to your ADSL line. Once complete connect to the wireless router, again using the network cable, with your computer. Use this to set up the security features you need.

Now that is all done connect the new modem to the WAN port on the router and bingo!! You should be able to surf without wires.

Any more questions please ask,
Paul

spuds 17:03 18 Jul 04

A little info on dsl click here and use the table of contents as well.

If you want to go a little further click here and select a link.

jtw 17:04 18 Jul 04

pmjd thanks. Will any dsl ethernet thing work? Do you have personal recommendation?

pmjd 17:13 18 Jul 04

I use a netgear all in one modem/router/wireless so can't really comment about any ethernet modems. Best to have a look at the reviews for any products on Ebuyer and see what they say. I'll have a quick look and see if any jump out. I have found the netgear router to be good but £50 does seem a bit much for the netgear ethernet modem.

and yes any ethernet modem will work.

I'll have a look and post back soon.

Graham ® 17:22 18 Jul 04

In your capable hands :-)

pmjd 17:38 18 Jul 04

Had a look at Ebuyer and looks like it might be the £50 option! The cheap one is apparently difficult to set up and has a major security flaw. Out of all the others these two look like the best

Netgear DM632
click here
in addition to an ethernet modem has a built in firewall that will give you an extra bit of protection.

The Netgear DG834
click here
is the same as the DM632 but is also a router which could be handy for adding an other computers or devices via network cable, assuming that your wireless router doesn't have the same features.
I will be buying this model for relatives when their broadband connection activates later this month.

Hope this helps,
pmjd

jtw 09:30 19 Jul 04

pmjd

Briliant help. Thanks a lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…