DSL or cable?

nick_j007 15:32 03 Jun 03

Hi all,

When ammending my internet connection settings (now I have BB!) do I insert DSL or cable or what please. Also, Quicktime asks for speeds too; what do I insert there please.

Many thanks as always,

Nick

MartinT-B 15:51 03 Jun 03

!

What does your provider tell you to do?

Do you have an internal or external modem?

Does your Motherboard have Ethernet built in, or do you have a card?

What speed have you bought - 256Kbs (unlikely) 512kbs or 1mbs? Whatever it is, that's what you need to tell Quicktime.

Forum Editor 16:22 03 Jun 03

broadband service, or any other broadband service via a BT landline you should enter DSL.

If you have an NTL cable service, then you should obviously enter Cable.

I both cases, enter the speed as 512kbps - unless you've bought the 1Mbps service.

nick_j007 16:41 03 Jun 03

Thank you Martin & F.E.

I have freeserves regular BB package (512?), though my icon in the tray bottom right says 576kpps (though this varies of course). Can it ever be more than the 'up to ten times faster' as is always advertised?

I run this on WXPH, on a Dell Inspiron 8100. I'm using a Speed Touch external USB by Alcatel, ethernet built in as there are no cards in my expansion slots.

I'm not an expert as you may gather, but can rub along reasonably well.

I feel the FE hits the nail on the head and I shall use that info as my guide.

Thanks!

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…