DSL Modem v Router

jack 12:09 08 May 08

Having in the past attempted to up my 2.2mbs connection to 'upto 8'[as they say] the reply has come back 'too far from exchange'
Last month I thought time to take another look and this time the answer came back - 'Can Do' lets see the colour of your money.
The standard spiel came in as if I was new customer and siad 'give it a month'
The month is up and I am still 2.2
So this morning I E-mailed then to the effect 'what about it?
Within the hour a phone call and a nice Irish sounding gent said 'I'll do it for you now'
And he did and the speed went from 2.2 to 5.4 in a blink- just like that[Well I had to re connect.]

He then asked what sort of 'box did I have?'[ and
is the reason for this post-]
I told him ' Voyager 105 DSL Modem' as supplied.

He suggested that a 'Router might improve things'

So would it and what sort?
I notice also that my MoBo lists an on board
ethernet shown in device manager as
- Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Is this anything of use?
In addition to the Usual USB PCI card - I have a Firewire card

So would getting/changing/ stuff in this area be of help?

Technotiger 12:14 08 May 08

A router would give you more options (like adding wireless additions), and the Ethernet connection in your PC would be used to connect the Router.

OK Computer 12:41 08 May 08

Can't see how changing to a router would improve your connection speed.

The Voyager 105 apparently supports downstream data rates of up to 8MB anyway:

click here

Switcher 12:45 08 May 08

A Router/modem setup would give you the benefit of a hardware firewall, enable you to setup a network easier if required and possibly a speed increase.

OK Computer 12:52 08 May 08

Unless I'm mistaken the only way speed would be increased would be if jack wasn't using USB 2.0,in which case using ethernet/wifi could increase performance from his adsl connection to his PC. However any ADSL speed tests would still show 5.4 Mbps? I could be wrong.

Technotiger 12:58 08 May 08

Hi, I don't think anyone has actually suggested that his connection speed would be improved, just that a Router is a generally better option than a modem.

OK Computer 13:11 08 May 08

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to Switchers last comment "possibly a speed increase" and the fact that his ISP is selling him a router on false pretences. I agree though that a router has many advantages over a modem.

jack 14:44 08 May 08

OK Computer - the ISP is not trying to sell me a router - he in fact suggested I should to PCW[even worse ;-}]

OK so I am not into a wireless set up -just a plain vanilla desk top [all be it a a bit of a home made beast of indeterminate age[s] ]

There is an onboard ethernet chip and socket as mentioned- any good?
ADSL Moden is currently connected to the machine USB 2 system.
So looking at click here
Stuff can stay as it is I guess
Am I right?

OK Computer 15:06 08 May 08

Again sorry but when I said they're trying "sell" you one I meant they're hinting that a router would improve your 5.4Mbps speed. It won't.

Switcher 15:29 08 May 08

When I used the Possibly. That word was chosen carefully. It dpends on the equipment that a Router/modem is replacing.

jack 19:41 08 May 08

Thank you all
We stick I think

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…