DRV_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

djtom12 21:44 16 Jan 04

For some reason every so often I boot up my computer, I get a blue screen saying a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to my computer with the message at the top saying: DRV_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal. All I know is that this is something to do with hardware. I am running Windows XP. Help would be appreciated.

mr gee 21:58 16 Jan 04

have you just installed any new drivers? I found that this error was usually a driver problem

Big Elf 22:07 16 Jan 04

Also do you get a STOP error number?

Forum Editor 22:07 16 Jan 04

to this problem will be given the keys to the kingdom - it's one of the most irritating error messages there is, and unfortunately it can be one of the most difficult problems to resolve.

Possible (and common) causes are:-

1. Nvidia graphics cards

2. Network cards

3. USB devices.

It's worth checking to see if you have several devices sharing the same IRQ - in WinXP go to Start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system information then click on the + sign for Hardware resources and click on IRQs

Come back to the thread and tell us what you see - I expect to hear that there are several things sharing the same IRQ - possibly IRQ 20, 21, or 22, depending on what hardware devices you have. It's common to see USB controllers sharing for instance.

©®@$? 22:11 16 Jan 04

to this problem will be given the keys to the kingdom

sounds like a challenge

slightlymad 22:25 16 Jan 04

... But I get this problem intermittently, too, and will follow this thread with interest. Also running XP.

System info tells me that the following devices are sharing IRQ 10:

Intel(r) 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
Best Data Data Fax Modem OK
Hauppauge WinTV 878/9 WDM Video Driver OK
Hauppauge WinTV 878/9 WDM Aux Driver OK

slightlymad 22:27 16 Jan 04

Didn't make a note of the stop no. as Windows shuts down before I get a chance, but it has an awful lot of 0000000000s in it.

Big Elf 22:39 16 Jan 04

Just a personal comment and probably unjustified but I binned my Hauppauge TV card (and gave my Creative sound card away) as the software and drivers were too flakey.

djtom12 22:50 16 Jan 04

I have checked the IRQ's and I have found that my Nvidia video card and my wireless network card both share the IRQ of 3. What I need to know now is how to change the value of the IRQ. Thanks for all the help so far guys

Big Elf 23:11 16 Jan 04

Not really sure but read this MS article click here

Big Elf 23:13 16 Jan 04

And this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5