dropping the internet connection

Fred the flour grader 18:17 10 Apr 04

Hi guys, been having this problem for a few weeks, and it is now starting to annoy me. After a short time my internet connection just cuts.
When I try to re-connect I get a message Saying:

The Modem is in use or not connected. If I try again I get a BLUE screen and a Fatal exception has occured at......loads of numbers and WIN 95AC.VXD.
I done a file search on this and it is a Modem file in C:\OEMDRV\Modem.
When I look for this in Explorer I cant find it.

I've been using Telewest Blueyonder Dial-up for over three years and I have never had this trouble before.
The PC is running Win98 2nd edition, Pentium 3 450MGHZ processor and 320Mb RAM.
Any help much appreciated....Thanks Fred.

Djohn 19:38 10 Apr 04

Bump!

Fred the flour grader 20:48 10 Apr 04

bump

Wilham 21:28 10 Apr 04

If the trouble began in the spell of very wet weather it may help to ask BT for a line check.

I believe it's free.

Fred the flour grader 21:31 10 Apr 04

sorry I am not with BT, I am on Telewest Cable (blueyonder Dial-up), I went onto them about four years ago and compared to BT,this is just a little annoyance.....BT are C*%^, in my humble opinion.

Fred the flour grader 20:53 11 Apr 04

bump it up

Cesar 10:05 13 Apr 04

You might be interested in this, click here

Graham ® 10:48 13 Apr 04

Fred, disconnections are often caused by a noisy line. Pick up the phone and press a number to break dial tone. Listen for any humming or crackles.

If you have the modem driver CD, delete it in Device Manager and re-boot. Windows should detect it and you can re-instal.

Fred the flour grader 11:01 13 Apr 04

It is a really weird problem, sometimes it won't happen if im on-line for two hours, at other times it will go after ten minutes.
Not sure if I have the modem driver on CD, I bought the pc at Dixons (it's Advent3031) in 98/99.
Will have a look at the package of discs that came with it and see if anything on there.

Once again thanks for your suggestions....Fred.

Graham ® 11:14 13 Apr 04

If no Cd, use click here to identify your modem. Then we should be able to locate a driver for it.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:18 13 Apr 04

Is it an internal modem? it may be overheating if its a HAM modem and a few years old.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…