Dropping Connection and Intermittent PC Hang

mjh65 08:14 21 Aug 04

My father's computer has a P4 2.8 processor, 512MB RAM and runs Windows XP. No changes have been made other than adding and removing a few games, which he decided he did not really want.
He runs Panda Anti Virus (6 I think it is, the one without the Firewall) and reglarly runs Spybot Search and Destroy.

About two weeks ago he was receiving e-mail via his dial-up connection and, at the same time Panda was updating; all pretty normal. Then the phone line dropped. Ever since then the connection drops between 90 and 120 seconds, having slowed to no exchange of bytes.

We have deleted and recreated the dial-up connection; set up a different ISP connection; and run these connection with Panda switched on and off, but still the connection drops.

Another issue, which may or may not be related, is that the computer has been temporarily 'hanging' during games and different processes. It particulary does not like multi-tasking. My father seems to think this has been going on for a couple of months, but has been getting steadily worse. I downloaded a memory checker from the Microsoft website and used this, but it found no problems with the memory.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or solutions? Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Martin

Wuggy 22:26 21 Aug 04

Just a thought but I wonder if he may have inadvertantly got a dialler program on his system which could be breaking the connection while trying itself to dial up. Well worth running a full virus check and Spybot S&D check just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…