Dropbox

morddwyd 07:08 26 Apr 15

I've just had an e-mail telling me me my Dropbox space expires soon, and I need to upgrade.

I always understood that the initial allowance is free?

It's not a real problem as I only store a few meg anyway and there are plenty of free hosts available (which is also why I don't want to pay a monthly fee), but can anybody clarify?

robin_x 14:12 26 Apr 15

2GB is free initially. Then there have been all sorts of ways to get extra free space, some of them with time limitations.

Maybe the email means the extra.

=-=-=

Backup the few Megs somewhere else.

I saw a Cautionary Tale recently.

Someone found they were locked out of their account with one of the reputable hosting companies.

The company is refusing to unlock it for some reason and so the data has effectively been lost (no other copy).

While it was considered possible that companies might go bust, or some data get lost or corrupted occasionally, being deliberately locked out on a Cloud storage account was not on my radar.

It's obvius in retrospect it's a possibility for hacked accounts and disputes.

robin_x 14:18 26 Apr 15

Also if you forget an old email you used for an account, and a Username and your auto-startups or auto-logins are lost, you have no way of identifying the account

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…