Drop Out, Why?

Boy Zone 12:37 13 Mar 04

Can anyone explain? When I'm on the net using a dial up modem, if someones calls my telephone number, it causes my internet connection to drop out.
I am at a loss as to why this happens.

User-312386 12:49 13 Mar 04

Are you using a "dial up" connection or Broadband?

If you dont tell us we are at a loss as well :-)

Diodorus Siculus 12:49 13 Mar 04

because you have "call waiting" - you may need to disable it and see what happens.

Boy Zone 12:53 13 Mar 04

Oopps,
Forgot to tell you that I have dial-up connection,
not sure what call waiting is, so assume that we don't have this. Use BT as ISP.

bananaslik 13:25 13 Mar 04

hi Boy Zone,i assume that u only have one bt line coming into the house,if so that is the reason why your net gets cut off.You can only run one thing at a time on one line.NTL got round this by instaling two lines into the house but i woould have thought that if u r on the net & someone calls u by phone they would not get through until u disconnect from the net.If this is happening contact your isp to see why the net disconnects upon revieving calls.

Diodorus Siculus 14:38 13 Mar 04

Call waiting - a facility that is on BT lines to inform you if someone else is calling you.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:45 13 Mar 04

Think you can check the line for call waiting by dialing 4 digits 15 or 14 somthing but i dont know the whole numbers but if its on you can turn it off in the same way.

Regards.

Rennaissance 14:45 13 Mar 04

huh? boy zone, i found it funny as you said you were using a dial up modem and people seem to think you dont have dial up. Or am i mistaken that a dial up modem can be used for something else? if that is the case i am sorry. :P

Alwood 17:19 13 Mar 04

Yes I do have a dial up system using a 56Kmodem,i.e one line in.
I do not have call waiting. Yes if I am on the net via my modem, and someone calls my tele number I get cut off the net.
Don't know why.
D

Old Shep 17:27 13 Mar 04

BT give you 1571 service even though you do not ask for it. Ring them up and tell them to take it off your phone line if you have it. It is what they call a free answerphone service but it costs the caller to leave a message and it costs you to recieve it. I am on dial up and rang them to get rid of it because it afffects your connection.

User-312386 18:28 14 Mar 04

BT do NOT give you 1571 unless you ask for it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…