Drives recognised by BIOS

exdragon 16:42 21 Oct 04

I've got XP home and have been trying to install GoBack v4. I tried a while ago, but Symantec said it wouldn't protect drives over40GB. I've got one of 30GB & one of 80GB

I've now got the larger one partitioned, using Partition Magic 8, but GoBack seems only to be working on the C drive of 30GB. The Read Me file on the GB CD says this:

Norton GoBack protects all disk drives that are recognized by the basic nput/output system (BIOS). If the disk drive is not recognized during the initialBIOS identification phase of the boot process, or if it requires special device drivers, Norton GoBack will not be enabled for that drive.

I'm a bit wary of poking around in the bios - can someone tell me where I can find the section which presumably lists the various drives? The D drive is partitioned as D and L, as I've got various card readers, CD, DVD drives and a zip drive.

Or have I messed up the whole thing??

Completealias 17:39 21 Oct 04

All I can say is that your BIOS will only recognise the actual physical drives not the partions. Hope this helps

You should be able to see all your drives in my computer but this will show physical drives and partions.

exdragon 17:45 21 Oct 04

Yes, they're all in My Computer - does this mean that I can't use GoBack after all? More money down the drain, unless I can persuade PC World to give me another refund! They did on the first one I bought as there was no mention of it not working on large drives

Diemmess 18:04 21 Oct 04

There is a significant difference in "computer-speak" between Physical Drives and Logical drives.

The physical drives you buy, install and are seen in BIOS as what they are - individual pieces of hardware.

The Logical drives can total as many as the number of partitions you make.

I suspect that the embargo in GoBack depends on the size of the particular Logical Drive you want to involve. As long as the partition is < 40Gb you will be OK

exdragon 18:18 21 Oct 04

Diemmess - the 2 partitions are less than 40Gb, but I did have a look in the BIOS & the D drive is shown as 80Gb - any suggestions, or do I need to find a friendly tecchie?

I can't find anywhere on the Symantec site to email them, I just keep getting sent round in ever decreasing circles: the address they give to send emails to just ends up back at the automated question site

Diemmess 08:56 22 Oct 04

I'm friendly, but by no means a techie! ...... I think the trouble has to be with the way your HD is partitioned, the numbers don't seem to add up.

You don't say exactly what size Windows claims your two drives to be. Have a look in my computer and right click on each drive one at a time.

Then select Properties, you should be able to see the capacity of the drive. Don't worry if the numbers when added don't total exactly 80Gb, a few Mb short is normal (the difference is between the shorthand Mb or Gb and the numerical total of bytes).

If the total is around 70 Gb or less, there is another partition there which is not showing and probably contains code not recognised by Windows.

If you understand all that..... you must realise I've not "been there" , just saying what I believe to be the case.

If you run Partition Magic again, you may (with luck) see this partition which almost certainly will not be formatted as FAT32.

If if if ..... I have guessed correctly and you are sure you know which partition is which..... then you can delete the rogue one, and allocate the space to one of the other partitions, or better still perhaps, make it into a new partition.

If none of this makes sense.........then you do need a real techie, they are out there, in this helproom.........good luck

exdragon 16:37 22 Oct 04

Thanks for the reply! They're 38 and 38.2, so should be ok. Would it be an idea to 'unpartition' them & do it again, in case anything was missed the first time round, or do I just run it again?

Any other tecchies out there who can tell me how to inform the BIOS that I've now got D and L drives of around 40Gb?

Diemmess 17:27 22 Oct 04

Last comment first.

You cannot do anything to tell the BIOS the NUMBER of Hard Disks you have. It should tell you!

Re-reading this pile of posts, think of the BIOS as doing merely a head count of your hardware. It only notes the number of Hard Disks which are connected and gives brief details of them.

It doesn't give them letters like C: or L:........ Yours should show as a number - "Drive" 0 as Primary Master then "Drive 1" and that is about all if you include their maker's name and nominal size.

Once you are in Windows the rules change and life can get quite complicated. You will see the partitions (if they are formatted) they will have drive letters always starting with C: but after that not very logical at first sight (the order can alternate between disks).

As for re-re-partitioning, if Windows (My Computer) shows all your partitions as drives (however it lables them), and each is < 40Gb then don't.

I sure hope someone else will take up the slack for your ongoing saga of GoBack and help you with the problem. I have run out of ideas.

exdragon 19:01 22 Oct 04

Thanks, Diemmess - I think I'm getting myself tiedup in knots, aren't I! I think what confused me was the Symantec comment I included with my first post,ie 'Norton GoBack protects all disk drives that are recognized by the basic nput/output system'etc .

I sort of expected it to know that I had 2 partitions, though of course it's still only one physical slave drive.

I'll leave this open for a while.

exdragon 19:01 22 Oct 04

Oh - I eventually found the email site to contact Symantec, so I'll see if anything helpful comes of that.

exdragon 15:50 23 Oct 04

Anyone got any more thoughts before I close this, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…