Drives not recognised

jack 12:52 16 Jul 09

One of my flock's machines is not at all well-
Win XP Pro upgrade and has since the up grade become very unstable.
It has two hard drives
Nothing for it I surmised but to F/disk and reformat- tried it at his home and it took a couple of hours to get to 2% check for bad clusters
I got the machine home in the hope that I could access other drives via a USB/IDE cable to my machine.
In each case my machine detected the drives but- reported 'unknown device' check USB.
So I cannot read either as an external device on my machine.
Any ideas how to access these two items?

jack 14:15 16 Jul 09

^^^

Graphicool1 15:26 16 Jul 09

I think you may be a little confused. I know I am after reading...
"Nothing for it I surmised but to F/disk and reformat- tried it at his home and it took a couple of hours to get to 2% check for bad clusters"
When you reformat a HDD it doesn't check for 'Bad Clusters' it wipes the HDD. I think you might be referring to 'Check Disk' not 'F/Disk'
When you Right clicked the OS drive icon you get a pop-up menu. In this menu one of the options is 'Format'. If you were intending to Check the disk for bad clusters you should click 'Properties' in the next pop up menu you Click on the 'Tools' tab. Here the first port of call should have been 'Error-Checking'. Clicking the Check Now button would have given you the choice of 'Automatically fix system errors' which I think you should have chosen first. Then scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

jack 11:57 17 Jul 09

Not confused but F-dsk'ed
But never mind when I reconnected his drives and did the partition/reformat thing and installed Windoze , it all nwent like a dream.
So alls well that ends well.
He is a happy Bunny with a 'New' machine that he fill up with -C...
And I came away with a nice bottle of malt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant