drives not being read by xp

mrt 03:19 12 Apr 05

i am running xp-pro (dell) cd/ cdrw no longer being read by windows need help.

Diodorus Siculus 07:30 12 Apr 05

When you start up, is it seen in the BIOS? You will probably need to press a key (say, DEL to enter the BIOS) and see if it is there.

Mikeincorfu 07:38 12 Apr 05

Hi 'MRT' I have same problem with my DVD drive in HP Pavilion updated from Win98SE. Unsuccessful with Samsung downloads, planning to buy another DVD this time with write and definitely not Samsung - can't go to an external though.
Anyone ideas for parameters to check when buying new drive?

VoG II 07:58 12 Apr 05

Do you mean that they don't autorun? If so click here

Otherwise some more details would help.

mrt 22:18 12 Apr 05

thanks for reply my problem is windows does not read my drives at all bios does

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 12 Apr 05

No CD/DVD
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

woodchip 22:54 12 Apr 05

It may be the ribbon cable to the drive, check the plugs or Substitute with a new one

Diodorus Siculus 07:37 13 Apr 05

As the BIOS detects them, more likely a software problem.

If Fruit Bat's suggestion does not work, go into the device manager and remove them; reboot and windows should detect them on startup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now