Drive's Contents not Displaying

DamianY2J 18:53 04 Mar 03

I have WinXP, and recently I contracted a virus, which was quickly sorted out by Panda AntiVirus (an online antivirus program).

However, since then, I have had a VERY annoying problem. When I double click any drive, it opens a Search Results window, and doesnt open a window displaying the contents of the drive as it normally should.

If I right click the drive icon, the first option is Search, and it is in bold. Five of my friends have XP as well, and they say that when they right click a drive, the first option should be Open.

The strange thing is, if I open any folder window, and select a drive from the drop down address bar, it displays the contents of the drives properly. I just cant seem to open the drives by double clicking their icon.

I think the virus may have changed the option which comes first in the right click menus, so that it opens a Search window instead of opening the drive when I double click. Maybe there is a registry setting for this??

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, I would be grateful. I dont particularly want to use System Restore because I have a lot of files which I dont want to lose.

AndySD 21:20 04 Mar 03

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…