Drivers for USB Card Reader

Dirk Diggler 19:07 13 May 04

I recently purchased a USB Card Reader for Smartmedia/XD cards. Works fine with XP (as you would expect) but my laptop in running 98SE and it cannot find the device as there were no drivers with it. Apparantly, there was a website where the drivers could be got on the packaging.... which I chucked away before realising! (doh!) Anyone got any ideas as to how I can locate a driver for this. There is no manufacturers name on the reader itself! TIA

Rayuk 19:11 13 May 04

Where did you buy it from maybe worth a visit to check on maker.
What driver has been loaded by XP for the device.

Dirk Diggler 19:24 13 May 04

Bought it from click here. I have emailed them but to no avail. I have just looked in Device Manager and it is telling me it is a Generic USB SMC Reader USB Device. It looks as though the driver comes from Microsoft?

Rayuk 19:29 13 May 04

Can you not remember which one it was or even the price or is it no longer available?

Dirk Diggler 19:31 13 May 04

It was only about 8 quid but was ideal for the cards I wanted

gofor 20:12 14 May 04

was the reader a mediagear usb2

Dirk Diggler 21:10 14 May 04

Was an unbranded USB SMC device

woodchip 21:18 14 May 04

Well without some kind of reference I cannot see you getting a driver. nothing underneath it

woodchip 21:21 14 May 04

You could try hear click here it's what I got for "SMC card reader drivers" in google

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…