Drivers updates

Wes Tam ;-) 10:47 06 Oct 03

I downloaded Driver Detective as mentioned in Tips & Tricks, Autumn and amongst others it informs me that there are updates available for my USB Universal Host Controllers and USB Root Hub.

Question: if I change these is there any chance of me doing damage?

ps thanks to T&T I've now updated my sound, display and scanner drivers.

anchor 10:54 06 Oct 03

My own opinion is that, if you are having no problems with your USB connections, I would leave well alone.

"if it ain't broke, don`t fix it".

Perhaps the experts may have a different view.

-pops- 11:10 06 Oct 03

I entirely agree with anchor.

If your machine is working as you want it to work, leave it alone. There is loads of damage caused to computer systems by unnecessary driver updates and other "improvements", sometimes damage so severe that re-installations of software are required.

Even with "critical" Windows updates, I leave them until someone comes on here and confirms they are safe to download (having been caught out once by an update that wasn't the best of Microsoft's efforts).

JIM 11:22 06 Oct 03

The advice from anchor/ -pops- is sound and programs like Driver Detective and others may not have the updates which are 100% compatable with your devices.Which as said could lead you into a lot of problems.

Stick to manufactures specific driver for you hardware/software unless no longer available.

Wes Tam ;-) 13:04 06 Oct 03

Thanks to all 3 for the advice, which I will take and leave well alone.

Wes Tam ;-) 15:25 06 Oct 03

That's the updated USB drivers I'll leave well alone, NOT the advice!!

JIM 15:33 06 Oct 03

thanks for that it made me :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…