Drivers for PCI devices wont install and no sound

Together 16:17 20 Apr 08

Following 2 years without problems my MESH computer running XP Home locked. Nothing would get it going again and the manufacturer's help line (££) decided a Windows reinstall was necessary.
After this I discovered that in Device Manager there were yellow ? Marks against "Other Devices - PCI Device, Simple Communications Controller and Unknown Device."
The computer seems to be working, but there is no sound either from a CD,or an internet site. (The drive is working as I used it to restore and write back-ups)
The only board installed in a PCI slot is a dial up modem, which I don't now use, (by Ambient Technologies), and is the "Unknown Device" Everything else is on the motherboard. The "PCI Device " appears to be by Advanced Micro Devices, and the "Simple Communication Controller " by NVIDIA.

I had followed the advice, when I received the computer, to back up the drivers, but reinstalling these didn't change the position. I was advised to obtain a new Driver for the motherboard (ASUSTEK A8N-VM/S)
I downloaded, what I though was the relevant software from the ASUS site, but installing new drivers via Device Manager failed to find any for the three ? Devices, in the computer, or on the internet, either automatically or when I pointed it at specific files in the DRIVER folders (there's one in the drive and a "Driver Cache" in the WINDOWS folder). I have also downloaded a second driver and one from NVIDIA, with the same result.

Sorry the story is a bit lengthy, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

User-312386 16:20 20 Apr 08

I assume this is an Nvidia chipset, have you installed the Nvidia Drivers fro it?

brundle 16:29 20 Apr 08

"PCI Device, Simple Communications Controller" both relate to the modem and it will require its own driver, not related to the motherboard drivers.

Sound drivers here if nothing relevant shows up in Sound Video & Game controllers; click here

Totally-braindead 16:40 20 Apr 08

I couldn't find the motherboard "VM/S" but I could see the CSM version. If that is what you have then here are the drivers click here
The PCI communications driver you can either ignore or you can just remove the modem. There is a sound driver listed so basically you need the chipset driver and the sound driver.
I would confirm that this is the motherboard you have though in case the chipset driver is wrong, the sound driver you could just try and see if it works but the chipset driver if wrong could screw things up.

Together 16:40 20 Apr 08

The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 6100, but the graphics are working fine. I did download a GeForce 61X0 driver,but didn't see any effect.
The sound card is Microsoft Function Driver for High Definition Audio -Adi 1986
The network card is NVIVIA nForce Networking Controller.

Together 16:58 20 Apr 08

The Device Manager reports that everything under "Sound Video and Game Controllers" is working (sound items: Legacy Audio Drivers, Audio Codecs and Media Control Devices )

Together 17:04 20 Apr 08

The motherboard is definately A8N-VM/S (written on the board) I found A8N-VM somewhere on the ASUS site and downloaded the "Cool and Quiet Driver".
With the link you gave I didn't know which "socket" to enter.

Together 17:44 20 Apr 08

Following blundle's comment re modem I have downloaded a driver (from the Intel site) which successfully loaded into "Simple communication controller" and removed it from the yellow ? list.
This seems to confrim that if the right driver is pointed at the device it will get sorted.

Looking at the "View by Device Connection" I see that PCI Device is listed under NVIDIA nForce 430/410 Serial ATA Controller

and Unknown Device under "Standard Floppy Disk Conroller"
New leads to follow up.

Poitier 15:48 21 Apr 08

I expect that you realise but it is not clear

from your post.If you are using version 1 recovery disc it is necessary to reinstall SP2 after using the disc.The yellow marks you describe are what to expect normally after using the disc before installing the drivers from CD.The chiset drivers are on the recovery disc but others for sound,video,modem and motherboard have to be installed from the backup CD.The 'drivers' folder is too large to go on 1 CD as it cntains more than drivers.

Together 17:37 21 Apr 08

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
I only have a MESH recovery disk, but it does include SP2
MESH advised backing up drivers, which I did - but restoring them didn't help.
I've downloaded from NVIDIA but the wizard can't find drivers.

On the lack of sound, I find in "Sound and Audio Devices" on the "Volume" page "No Audio Device"
The speakers are known to be working. No problems re audio shown in Device Manager. My documentation suggests the sound card driver is Microsoft Adi 1986, so I will go to the Microft site and see whether I can find it.

Poitier 13:49 22 Apr 08

Are you aware that there is a Mesh owners club found under service and support? Davey W might help in the forum if all else fails.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced