Drivers missing

Billawa 00:41 25 Jan 06

I have two optical drives - DVD-ROM BDV316E and NEC D VD-RW ND-3540A. On booting up tonight neither drive came on-line. The same error message appeared for both drives - "Windows cannot load the device for this hardware. The driver may be corrupt or missing. Code 39". I have tried updating the drivers but Windows tells me the existing one is the best! I have uninstalled the drives and then used "Add Hardware" and the same error message has appeared. I have also used "System Restore" but with the same result.

I am running Widows XP with SP2. No problems until tonight with either drive. Any suggestions?

Skyver 00:48 25 Jan 06

Do they work if you boot in Safe Mode? Can you still boot from a CD (the XP CD for example)?

Skyver 00:51 25 Jan 06

Here's one fix which is worth a try, although only the symptom matches - click here
or this
h-tp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;q314060
(replace h-tp with http)

Billawa 15:08 25 Jan 06

Skyver
The link you gave provided the answer - thanks! I had uninstalled "InCD" and the link helped me find a registry entry which related to the programme. I deleted the Filters as in the article and - bingo - the drives re-appeared. Thanks again! PS I have made a note of the M/S link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos