Drivers for keyboard

WYN BACH 17:33 02 Dec 03

I have a keyboard that came with a multimedia computer system with Windows 98 on it, I have since upgraded my computer and now run Windows XP, but my keyboard isn't as it should be. Some of the keys are jumbled about and it's trial and error with getting some of the symbol keys to work. Is there a way of upgrading the driver or is it a case of living with it until I can buy a new keyboard.

Stuartli 17:42 02 Dec 03

Command keys in PowerToysXP can be set to perform a number of functions.

Have you also tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the keyboard from Device Manager?

Stuartli 17:45 02 Dec 03

Have you also checked Regional Settings? It may be set for the wrong region.

Djohn 17:54 02 Dec 03

If it's a multi media keyboard, then it will have it's own driver with it to enable the functions to be recognised by the keys, other wise it will be recognised as only a standard keyboard.

Check your regional settings as suggested by Stuartli. Set both the language and keyboard to UK, or British English and not US English.

If you don't have a driver, then let us know the make/model of keyboard and someone will point you to a driver download. j.

WYN BACH 22:16 03 Dec 03

The only information I can give you about my keyboard is that it is a multimedia keyboard with the internet connection buttons across the top, a variable volume control knob, and was originally designed for Windows 98. Part No is 5183-9969

Mr_Nice_Guy 22:19 03 Dec 03

go to control panel and keyboards and see if the regional settings are english uk, not US, as their layout is different from ours.

Mr_Nice_Guy 22:20 03 Dec 03

sorry should be control panel>Regional and language settings> then set the region.

cycoze 22:26 03 Dec 03

If the keyboard came with the PC , what make and model is the pc ? it looks like HP pc`s have this code ( 5183 ) for keyboards .

WYN BACH 22:26 03 Dec 03

I've tried that but no change, the @ sign is in the " position and vice versa, pound sign doesn't work and my volume control knob has no effect. Plus there's a few other keys all over the place.

WYN BACH 22:30 03 Dec 03

The keyboard did come with my original Pc, but I have since upgraded, including motherboard, processor and tower case. The only bits I didn't change were the keyboard, monitor hard drive and disk drives.

cycoze 22:33 03 Dec 03

what was the make and model of the original pc?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…