Drivers installation problems + USBs Hub question.

Zerogravity 16:08 07 Mar 09

I am trying to install a Sweex 56K Modem on my netbook, but this Window appear :

[The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP.

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the software vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing.]

Then I click on "Continue anyway" and the wizard seems to download the files, but it goes on and on and on, and I fear that because it has not passed the test, Window is not letting the drivers being installed.
The drivers are safe to install as I have installed them on my main PC without problems.
How do I get rid of that testing window?
I don't know where that's coming from, I had XP Home on 3 PCs and never had this appearing at any of my drivers installation, even when I did install the same drivers on my PC.
----------------------
As I have only 3 USB ports on the netbook, I have bought a 4 port USB Hub stated as "High Speed".
But only the mouse is working on it, I tried my external drive, and it doesn't work.
The drive works on the netbook USB perfectly, and without the help of the AC adaptor, it's only when I try to use the Hub in between them that it doesn't work. Furthermore, with the mouse, only one out of the four usb works with the netbook, but all 4 are working on my main PC, though the external driver is not working neither on my PC with this Hub.
Does that mean the Hub is not working as it should, or is the netbook not powerful enough, or will I have to use an AC adaptor with anything but the mouse to make things work?
Or is this the wrong Hub I've bought? (just a cheapish one), and which king of Hub I should consider buying?

Taff™ 09:43 08 Mar 09

Is the modem connected by USB to one of the netbook ports or the Hub? Try connecting it directly to the netbook, switch off your firewall temporarily and try again.

Your Hub is self powered and therein lies your problem. Each USB port on the computer can deliver only a certain amount of power and as soon as you put the hub in that is split 4 ways which obviously is only enough to support your mouse. You need to buy a powered hub.

I have a cheap self powered hub which I can use to support a wireless mouse transceiver and one laser printer. It won`t take a second printer or scanner at the same time although I can plug in a memory stick.

For a brief explanation scroll down to power at click here

Zerogravity 10:14 08 Mar 09

That's what I was afraid of. It makes sense at the end. But really if you need to use a powered hub to plug all what you need on your netbook, it stopped being a real mobile device.
I did connect the modem at the end, directly to the netbook.
At the end, I would just need one more USB port, to connect modem, mouse and the external drive (which takes 2 USB port on its own). I am not bothered about printers as I still can disconnect the modem and connect momentarily the printer to it.

Taff™ 11:11 08 Mar 09

The modem is now working then? I`m surprised you only have a 56K dial up connection, don`t you have a BB connection? The problem you have is no different to mine really. I have only 3 USB ports so I am restricted as well. Is there really a need for the external drive to be connected all the time? (Again a powered external drive would solve your problem but that makes it less portable too!)

Zerogravity 11:45 08 Mar 09

My external drive is powered, but it works fine with the USB connection when it's plugged straight into the netbook.
Yes, I only have a 56K modem connection where I am, a few things stopped me to get BB.
I can only get a fixed line rate up to 512kbps, with a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps or greater (if you're lucky, I am checking from time to time if it has improved but it has been telling me the same for years now).
Compared to the standard 8mb offered by most ISPs, I am just wondering if really it would be worth it to get BB.
Ok, I can have BB for the same price I am paying now, but tales of usage limits and sometimes difficulties to connect stopped me.
Right now I can't really watch videos online and it takes me ages to download files, but I still can connect first time any time and have no usage limits since they have concentrated on BB packages.
I am really in two minds about it. I suppose eventually they will phase out Dial-up accounts and then I'll have to get broadband.
I'll probably be the last in the country to have a dial-up connection. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…