Drivers - correct way to install new drivers

badgermansix 07:55 09 Jul 05

What is the correct way to download and install new drivers please?

Should I have the device (scanner, Printer etc.) on or off at the time

Do new drivers overwrite the existing drivers?

Thanks.

€dstowe 09:05 09 Jul 05

I don't think there is a general way of installing any software. You should follow the instructions given be the manufacturer.

I have a business and use a number of printers of different makes and types. Even within the same brand, the software installation varies from model to model.

Forum Editor 09:07 09 Jul 05

you'll be asked if you want to save it, or run it direct from the location. Provided you're happy that the location you're downloading from is safe - a manufacturer's driver download section for instance - you'll be quite OK to accept the 'run from this location' option.

This should install the driver automatically - most good drivers now come packed ready with an installer routine, so you'll see the familiar Windows prompts. Let the driver install itself, and it will overwrite the existing driver. Once the installation is complete, restart your computer for good measure - even if you aren't prompted to do so - and all should be well.

As soon as you're happy that the new driver is working properly with the device for which it's required you should create a new restore point in Windows XP - but make sure you have thoroughly tested the driver before you do that.

In general it doesn't matter whether your printer or whatever is on or off when the driver is installed - Windows will sort that out when you do the restart.

badgermansix 22:31 11 Jul 05

Sorry for the delay with my response, I have been away for a couple of days.

€dstowe, thank you for your imput.

Forum Editor, thank you very much for that very clear and understandable reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…