drivers after formatting

Eileanbeag 18:04 06 May 07

Is there a way to save motherboard video. modem etc., drivers prior to formatting. I have been given a PC with Windows XP loaded which requires formatting as there is a lot of old stuff loaded. I do not have a copy of XP so was going to load 98 and wondered if it is possible to loacate all drivers prior to formatting?

Ex plorer 18:11 06 May 07

Hi what kind of board is it many drivers can be down loaded from the net although the mother board will work ok after the format.

Diemmess 18:38 06 May 07

IF --- you really have to format and start again -
First identify your mobo, go to the manufacturer's site and download their drivers, and burn them to a CD.

Once formatted (as FAT32 not NTFS), Windows 98 will install, but will need those drivers to begin to look like a going concern!

Just an afterthought. Win 98 and even 98SE tends to become almost unusable with over 512MB of RAM, if you have more than this,take some out first.

Eileanbeag 18:51 06 May 07

Not set the PC up yet so don't know much about it - I'm intending to get started tomorrow. How do find out the modem drivers are required?

jimv7 19:03 06 May 07

If you have the xp license, why not borrow a friends xp cd.

Eileanbeag 19:20 06 May 07

The discs that came with the PC have been mislaid - is it possible to find the licence in the computer - is it stored anywhere?

Totally-braindead 19:28 06 May 07

I think SIW tells you under secrets click here or is it Belarc that does it click here don't recall but its one of them.

Totally-braindead 19:30 06 May 07

One thing though. This will work with any XP CD but it must be the same IE if its XP Home on the PC than you need to use an XP Home CD and if its XP Pro you need to use an XP Pro CD.

Totally-braindead 19:31 06 May 07

Sorry just though of something else. Both the programs I gave you links to should identify the motherboard if you do want to go to the manufacturers website for drivers.

Belatucadrus 19:34 06 May 07

click here Double driver well worth a look.

Eileanbeag 19:34 06 May 07

Excellent - many thanks all - will get cracking tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…