Drivers

gplatt2000 19:00 19 Apr 03

Once I have formatted my hard drive do I need to get the most recent, downloaded drivers (off my other PC) for all my hardware, or will Windows 98 detect it and choose the best one? It's just that finding out about all my hardware and dowloading the drivers will take a lot of time, and this will be a waste if Windows can do it by itself. Thanks a lot, Gavin

slimbo51 20:12 19 Apr 03

U will find most of the drivers on the 98 disk are all very dated (all it finds will probably work ok though).

Would sugest u find all the latest drivers for ur hardware as it will improve both speed and reliability.

Create a new folder and keep them either on a second drive if u got or cut to a disk. This way if u have to reinstall again they are all ready for future use.

Good Luck.

gplatt2000 20:35 19 Apr 03

So I can actually run the system (having installed Windows) and not worry about it not working, than get the drivers? ie. I dont actually have to download the drivers before I format the HD, but can instead install them once I've formatted the HD and installed Windows and i wont have to to worry about the comp not working? Please correct me if wrong, tahnks again, Gavin.

Totally-braindead 20:56 19 Apr 03

The most essential driver to have is the Modem one, without your modem you'll be stuck regarding downloading any drivers that are missing, be absolutely certain you have that one.

slimbo51 21:16 19 Apr 03

All it finds will work, but depending on ur h/ware installed in ur machine will determine if a driver is available or not.

Any drivers it can not find will show up as a yellow queery in device manager.

These drivers will have to be got by other methods (internet, manf driver disks etc.)

The basics of the comp will run h/drives cdroms graphics, but may well not work to their full potential.

U may well find ur graphics will only work at a very basic level (600x800 in 16 colours).

Sound may well not work at all.

As I said before, it all depends on the h/ware fitted in ur machine.

gplatt2000 21:31 19 Apr 03

Thanks once more people. To be safe I think I will find all the drivers I can using my other PC, put them on a disc and use this once I have Windows running. Do this sound alright?

powerless 21:32 19 Apr 03

Yes.

gplatt2000 22:31 19 Apr 03

Thanks aain everyone for your help! Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…