Drivers

menopaws1947 18:49 07 Dec 07

Hi again, Huge probs with new Dell Inspiron 1501. I went ahead and bought windows XP (not from Dell as their's was £99.99)and it installs well. Huge problem is cannot find the exact drivers needed, dell won't tell me which ones I need and where to get them unless I pay for the information. Found some in the Dell tech support but didn't work, I need Base system device/Ethernet controller/network/PCI device (2)/Sm Bus controller (VGA compatible)
Failing that, if I buy an external hard drive, can I leave the Vista in the old drive and put XP in the external drive ??????
Thanks
SUe

sinbads 19:02 07 Dec 07

you could try click here it should find the drivers for you

Terry Brown 19:09 07 Dec 07

The problem is Dell have special software that only Dell supplies --Not on the standard Windows CD.Contact me (yellow box)as I may have some drivers you can use.

Put 'DELL menopaws1947' in the subject box
Terry

menopaws1947 19:30 07 Dec 07

HI both thanks for advice, will look in driverscan sinbad, think i have been in most sites today
Sue

Totally-braindead 19:39 07 Dec 07

These seem to be the drivers and I found them in about 2 minutes from the Dell site click here=

Totally-braindead 19:41 07 Dec 07

Don't see why you have to pay as they are freely available

menopaws1947 20:12 07 Dec 07

This morning I downloaded all those drivers and put them on a disc. I installed XP and put the disc in, when I tried to install the drivers it didn't work. I don't know if I did something wrong.I downloaded them and tranferred them to a disc.
I phoned Dell before installing XP, just to check what drivers I needed (I was through to the hardware dept) they said they would put me through to the software dept, but as I hadn't bought my XP from Dell, they would charge me for advice - I said it was blackmail and a few other things.

MCE2K5 20:22 07 Dec 07

"when I tried to install the drivers it didn't work".

Just run the Driver files, They are SFX Archives.

Install drivers from where they are UnArchived to your hard drive.

menopaws1947 20:31 07 Dec 07

SFX archives and UnArchived eeek what does that mean !!!

rdave13 21:02 07 Dec 07

Try windows update. Download the old favourite everest home; click here . Click on the links given in everest. It might not be supported but still works well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…