Driver Updates

Hetti 12:17 13 Feb 07

Can anyone please advise how I go about checking all my installed drivers are up to date, Im not sure what the names of some of the items I have on my PC, PC is three years old and I have never did any updates at all.
I do have belarc advisor installed
Win XP pro

recap 13:04 13 Feb 07

If everything is working OK, I would leave things alone.

If you had doubts check the devices in Device Manager. Right Click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage', then 'Device Manager'. If there are any exclamation marks against any devices, expand the device and go to Troubleshooting to determine what the problem is.

Kate B 13:05 13 Feb 07

You've never done any updates? *gulp* First off, go to Microsoft Updates and download all the critical updates; and then check what driver updates it offers you. I presume you're doing regular scans for malware and viruses? If you're unpatched, God knows what you've picked up.

Frankly, though, with drivers, unless you've got a specific problem with a device, there's not much need to update them for the sake of it.

Hetti 13:34 13 Feb 07

Thanks guys
Kate B
Sorry if I did not make my post clear, I do have PC set to auto update for windows, and I check those all of the time, I was asking about drivers for graphics cards and other hardware.
recap
Ill do as you both suggest leave well alone if there is no probs in device manager

Thanks again

Hetti 13:59 13 Feb 07

recap
I have an exclaimation mark for other devices when i expand i get an exclamation mark and Via Sata Raid, but when I insert the floppy disk driver called "Via sata raid driver diskette" and ask wizard to search for automatic recommended update of from the floppy the message is the same I get "Cannot install this hardware wizard cannot find software" (I have checked removable media)

terryf 14:04 13 Feb 07

Try un-installing the device from Device Manager (right click against it) and then re-boot.

ICF 14:25 13 Feb 07

Do you need raid drivers installed?

Hetti 14:38 13 Feb 07

Thanks

Not sure if i need drivers, just thought there was a prob when it showed an exclaimation mark.

Doe's anyone else know answer?

terryf 20:45 13 Feb 07

If you do as I suggest, you will find out if you need them cos win will or will not re-install them

Ashrich 22:08 13 Feb 07

If you are not using a raid array you can disable it in the bios then it won't ask for the drivers again and there will be no exclamation in Device Manager .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…