Driver updates

JoJoh 14:33 29 Dec 03

I am aware that drivers are constantly being updated. I have tried where possible to update my drivers however this is time consuming and I am unsure sometimes where to find any replacements/updates. Usually I run the driver update option from the properties tab on Device manager.This only links to the Microsoft update
site and there is a good chance that it will not update the driver of some products.

Is there available a programme that will automatically update all of the drivers on my computer in the correct place. I downloaded a trial version of "Driver Toolkit" however I found that whilst very competent at finding all of the drivers on my system, it does not automatically update them in the correct places. I had a problem in that I don't know where the drivers are on my C\ drive and therefore when it asks for a place to put the updated version I don't have the answer. For instance, one of the driver updates that I downloaded was put onto my desktop which was the wrong place and I assume would have no effect.

Thanks

JoJoH

rickf 15:23 29 Dec 03

If its on the desktop, it usually means that you have to install it from there. The desktop icon would probably be just the set-up for the installation. Double click on it anad the process of installation would follow, then just follow instructions on screen. Re the program you are after, I don't have any info. At any rate, I would not advise installing drivers enmass. It is asking for trouble.

MichelleC 15:30 29 Dec 03

Windrivers backup is a free tool which backs up all drivers click here I think it's got a facility to update individual drivers one at a time (best way as rickf says).

JoJoh 15:37 29 Dec 03

Thanks Michellec but this is the same programme as already loaded earlier today

MichelleC 15:40 29 Dec 03

There is a Aussi site which scans pc and updates drivers but it's subscription only. I've lost url, sorry.

MidgetMan 16:44 29 Dec 03

Seem to remember a programe called driver detective that does what you want,(try google search) it scanned your system then looked for updates. However I am of the school of "if it broke don't try to fix it", unless certain programmes/games are telling you to update certain drivers and if your system works fine why go to the bother??

giggsy 16:52 29 Dec 03

Does 'Driver Wizard' do what you require? Haven't tried it myself, but it may be worth a look.
Was on the cover disk a month back I think.

JoJoh 17:36 29 Dec 03

Thanks all for your help. I will try the 2 suggestions.

Stuartli 17:43 29 Dec 03

Driver Detective is here:

click here

or there's this one:

click here

I used to use the similarly named Driver Detective (something to do with TechRepublic), which was free, but didn't reinstall it when moving up from Win98SE to XP.

Stuartli 11:45 30 Dec 03

Re the old saying It's an ill wind...

Spent about two days trying to find the final driver for my Diamond SupraExpress modem when I moved onto XP a few weeks ago; eventually managed to find one.

Just checked the above link as a matter of curiosity for the same purpose and, hey presto, it found one issued only about two years ago on a never before visited foreign language website.

Even more remarkable is that the driver I had installed was about 1.4MB, the one just downloaded is under 400kb.....

Works just as it should.

loopyloo 17:30 05 Jun 04

I have just been to a website click here which was advised in the PC Advisor magazine which scans your computer for driver updates. It came up with 6 drivers which need updating. As I haven't paid for the full service on this web site which downloads them automatically I thought I would try and find them to download without much sucess. I then went to My computer- properties-driver updates using windows xp and it says all my drivers have the best available updates. Who is right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced