Driver updates

lucky1 16:53 07 Sep 03

As already mentioned today I have just bought a new Compaq Presario S3190UK PC. I have just visited click here and, after scanning my system, they advise that there are driverupdates available for many of the devices etc. on my PC. Are updates easy to install ? Do I need to uninstall anything first ? I am new (still) to all this and any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

The Nuclear Boy Scout 17:27 07 Sep 03

If you know where to look for them, they are usually pretty easy to install. Some you may need to uninstall the previous driver, and some you may not.

If you list what updates you require, I'll see what I can find out for you (where updated drivers can be found).

Thanks very much!

lucky1 20:39 07 Sep 03

Thanks for your reply, sorry I didn't get back sooner. According to click here there are updates for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Network apaptors (NVIDIA nFORCE MCP Networking Adaptor), Standard OpenHCD USB Host Conttollers, Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, USB Composite Device, USB Printing Support, NVIDIA(R)nForce (TM) Audio Codec Interface, OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller, NVIDIA GeForce MX440 with AGP8X Display Adaptor, HP PSC 1200 imaging device, and HP 1200 (DOT4USB) HPZ12. It's all double dutch to me I'm afraid but I assume I need to carry out these updates. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you again.

Djohn 20:59 07 Sep 03

I have not seen your other thread, but if as you say above, your PC is brand-new. I would not up-date anything until you have used it for a few weeks. Up-dates are not always necessary, or wise unless you have problems with the ones you have. Regards. j.

lucky1 20:00 08 Sep 03

Thanks for your help folks. Much appreciated.

Regards

lucky1 20:03 08 Sep 03

Thanks for your help folks. Much appreciated.

Regards

-pops- 06:45 09 Sep 03

Be very careful using sites like the one you quote. It may tell you that all sorts of things are vital to the running of your machine but, if it's running to your satisfaction, leave well alone. There is a most definite possibility that, with so many updates, something may not go quite as planned and instead of improving your machine, exactly the opposite occurs.

The updates you should (MUST?) install are the one concerned with the security issues connected with Windows (from Windows update). When this scans your machine that again will no doubt come up with suggestions about updating drivers as well. Download the security (critical) updates but not the ones for drivers.

Make a note of recommended driver updates and then go the the manufacturer of the device in question website to obtain the driver. I would suggest that you always proceed this way and not rely on third party software (including Windows) to download these things for you. After all, the manufacturer know his equipment best and is thus best qualified to know what drivers are required.

-pops- 06:48 09 Sep 03

P.S I have never heard of the site you quote and I would think that a lot of others here haven't either. If it were as good and as important as they seem to infer, it would be much more widely known and accepted.

jospar 07:51 09 Sep 03

Humm, I've just had a gander at the site you mentioned, and guess what it also told me that there was up-date available for some of my drivers.

And if I would like to pay $29.95 (us) dollars then I can download them!

Could this be a waste of money one ponders, as one of the drivers mentioned I up-dated about three weeks ago from the maufactuers site for not a bean!

So as the others have said, if its a new machine wait a couple of weeks, and if then you feel you might need them, the go to the manufacturers site, they won't make you pay.

P.s

Compaq has got a very good support, if you can't find it or are not sure about something, then e-mail there support team (via there web site) if you e-mail late evening, then they get back to you quicker (they are on a different time zone) they sorted out the info I needed within hours of e-mailing them.

lucky1 19:27 09 Sep 03

Thank you everyone for your sound advice.

Regards.

lucky1 19:29 09 Sep 03

Resolved thanks. Forgot the green tick !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now