Driver update help on radeon 9800 pro needed.

charlton200 18:32 02 Nov 05

I have got a update for my game half life 2.
The update is a free update for owners of half life 2.
It say's that I need an update on my Radeon 9800 pro video card to directx9 capable.

I have been to the ati site but never having updated any drivers before, I am very unsure about what I am doing or will I mess my computer up etc.

My computer is a mesh 3.2 ghz, 1gb ram,
And windows xp.

I hope you can give me some advise.

Thank you.

Rigga 18:45 02 Nov 05

Hi charlton200,

I've downloaded the lost coast as well, and it runs fine on my 9800Pro. a little slow, but it does run.

Your 9800Pro card is already DirectX9 compatible, is the game not allowing you to run, or is it just a warning. I get a warning, which I then just ok, and it lets me run the lost coast extra level.

If it won't let you run, then on the ATI site, the catalyst drivers are compatible with all radeon cards.

So you just need to download the drivers, and install them. Some people say un-install the old one's first but I never have, and it's never been a problem.

However, if you are unsure, then un-install the old drivers, through add/remove in the control panel. Then restart, cancel the found new hardware, and then install the new one's.

P.S. it's very beautiful the new level, but it does make me want to upgrade my graphics card to something a bit better :)

Djohn 18:59 02 Nov 05

Rigga is correct in that you don't need to un-install ATI drivers before updating, but it is always better to do so. ATI have a special little application free to download for doing this, they also strongly recommend you use their removal tool for the removal of the catalyst control centre.

charlton200 19:03 02 Nov 05

Hi rigga,
I have downloaded 89% of lost coast and then a box comes up saying my system does not meet one of the requirements to run lost coast and there is a link to ati site to update the video card.

If I ignored the warning would steam let me download lost coast up to 100%.

Thanks for your help.

By the way Rigga it was you who gave me advise before I choose my computer 1 year ago . It has been brilliant buy, with no faults and I have been very pleased with it.So much better then my last computer which could not go a week without giving up. A big thanks.

Rigga 09:24 03 Nov 05

Hi charlton200,

I think when I downloaded it, it complained about my CPU not being over 3ghz or something of that nature, I just hit ok, and it all worked.

You could always try it without updating the 9800 drivers and see what happens. At the very worst it will just not run, and then you can go update the drivers.

Yeah I remembered your sign on name, glad that the computer has worked well for you. Mine is also still running smoothly, so at least two happy MESH customers then. :)

Splork 09:37 03 Nov 05

My system was sadly lacking in oomph on all 3 counts (CPU, graphics and memory) but Lost Coast works fine, even if it is lacking most of the eyecandy. If you install new video card drivers, disable your antivirus software before doing so. You can get ATI Catalyst 5.10 drivers here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…