Driver for unknown hardware

twolf 10:04 11 Jan 08

Hi

I recently had a problem on my PC and had to reinstall Vista. After re-installing I keep getting a message that the PC has found new hardware and can't locate the driver. I have unplugged all devices. If I go into device manager I can see an icon that says 'unknown device' but i can't see a way of actually finding out what it is. If I boot into XP (I have 2nd hard drive running XP) then all is fine and I don't get the message.

Can anyone tell me how to find out what the device is or how to rectify the problem?

Thanks a lot!

rawprawn 10:07 11 Jan 08

If you right click on it in Device Manager, do you get any options?

twolf 10:50 11 Jan 08

I haven't got the PC in front of me at the moment, but from what I can remember I get the options: 'install driver' 'uninstall driver' and I think I got 'properties' or something similar which gave me some info but it meant nothing to me, the info was a series of numbers, like xx0330100

brundle 11:05 11 Jan 08

Go into the afore-mentioned properties page, look for Vendor and Device ID numbers, post back with the relevant info.

twolf 11:19 11 Jan 08

Under 'properties', 'details' it says
'value':
ACPI\PNPB006
*PNPB006

If I go to 'properties', 'resources' it says
I\o Range: 0330 - 0331
IRQ: 0x00000005 (05)

Under 'properties', 'General' it says that the location is PCI standard ISA bridge
Device status is: This device is not configured correctly (code 1)

Thanks for your help on this

octal 11:24 11 Jan 08

That sounds like motherboard driver, can you give details of your machine.

twolf 12:02 11 Jan 08

I've just tried reinstalling the driver cd that came with the PC too.

The PC is an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4800 with 2 gig of ram

brundle 13:56 11 Jan 08

Could be to do with IRQ steering, or MIDI output - access the machine BIOS and disable any MIDI output options (probably under the heading Integrated Peripherals).

twolf 14:39 11 Jan 08

Thanks for the advice guys, you're really helpful.

I disabled midi port in my bios and the messasge has now gone. Why would this have happened though? Im guessing it's software related as it happened after I reinstalled Vista. Can I/should I do anything to rectify it?

brundle 14:47 11 Jan 08

If you don't need MIDI output, forget it.
The original Vista install may have been set up so that MIDI output was disabled by software instead.

twolf 09:58 13 Jan 08

Thanks guys for the advice, this is the most helpful forum I've been on! My main machine is an Apple Mac and I can usually sort most things out myself, but I'm not as clued up when it comes to the PC so thanks again for your time!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…