Driver for Samsung SM-308B DVD/CDRW

bazza11 18:36 06 Feb 05

I have tried the Samsung and other websites to find an updated driver for my DVD/CD rewriter since I upgraded from windows Me to Xp, without success. Any ideas where to look next? Thanks.

JonnyTub 18:38 06 Feb 05

you don't need a driver in xp, it has generic one's built in.

Totally-braindead 18:44 06 Feb 05

JonnyTub is right, the device should use a generic driver which is built into windows. If you're having a problem with this device please post back so someone can help with details of whatever its doing/or not doing.

JonnyTub 18:48 06 Feb 05

Just to clarify are you having problems with the actual device or related burning software ?

woodchip 18:53 06 Feb 05

As above you do not need drivers you need software to play and Burn DVD's

JonnyTub 19:13 06 Feb 05

Sorry - don't know if this is how I should respond, but here goes. The dvd cd bits play films and music ok, and it lets me record pictures to cd, but when I come to open them I get a message that the format is unsupported, or that the disk is blank! I have tried differnt brands of disk and used both R and RW formats. Thanks

JonnyTub 19:17 06 Feb 05

so to clarify:

you can burn cd/dvd's fine

the drive will play films and music

the problem you are having is when trying to explore the disk?

bazza11 19:35 06 Feb 05

Yes, and the disks can be read in my laptop running windows 98SE!

JonnyTub 19:54 06 Feb 05

Bit of an oddball problem this one, right click on my computer and select properties, from the new dialogue box, select the hardware tab and then click on device manager. You will see an entry called IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS, expand this entry and you should find two more entries named primary ide and secondary ide. I'm guessing the dvd/cd drive is installed on the primary so right click on the primary ide controller entry and select uninstall. When windows has finished uninstalling the primary ide it will ask to be rebooted, oblige and allow windows to reinstall the drivers upon reboot.

P.s. I often see people being advised to uninstall the cd/dvd drive on it's own, a bit pointless if there are conflicts from the ground up so to speak.

beeuuem 20:10 06 Feb 05

This may help click here

JonnyTub 20:15 06 Feb 05

well spotted beeuuem, it was of course my next suggestion ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…