Driver issues

sikicks 21:50 16 Apr 06

Recently my PC has been formatted and a newer version of Windows XP Home Edition has been installed (Service pack 2 etc) as opposed to Windows XP Professional with no upgrades. Since this has happened I have difficulty playing Enemy Territory (Recommended Specifications: 2.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent, 512 MB System RAM, nVidia GeForce 3 or ATI Radeon 8500 or equivalent with 64 MB of Video RAM) despite being capable of playing it previously. I can get the game to run by downloading the appropriate driver from the manufacturer's website (NVIDIA) and installing it, however this is where the trouble starts; Windows warns before installation that it has not been verified and recommends that installation should not continue. After continuing the driver installs fully but then abruptly restarts the computer, then the computer takes 2-3 attempts to load an account, in failing to do so the computer will restart. When the computer finally loads up I am told that Windows has recovered from a serious error and fileing a report opens up the Windows website which tells me that the problem is caused by a driver. The thing is that despite the frustating consequences of installing the aforementioned driver, the game runs perfectly when it is installed!

To try and solve the issue I rolled back the driver but the restarting persists. I tried formatting the PC again but as soon as any driver is installed the same symptoms occur.

Perhaps it should also be noted that we have recently upgraded to a flat screen monitor at 17" BUT this was working well with the game before the PC was ever formatted.

And I guess that I should add my system specifications:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1 build 2600
AMD Athlon XP 1500+, MMX, 3D Now, ~1.3GHZ
512 MB RAM
Direct X 9.0c
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440, 128mb
Current display mode 1024x768 (32bit)(60hz)

Any help what so ever is greatly appreciated

Thank you. sikicks

Totally-braindead 23:00 16 Apr 06

Are you sure that you've got the latest driver because it is verified? click here if its coming up not verified then I suspect its the wrong driver.

ACOLYTE 01:23 17 Apr 06

It depends on your card as to whether the driver is shown as verified or not,the newer drivers are not always verified for older cards.But this still shouldn't stop you installing,my driver isn't verified and i have the latest one from the nvidea site.

Devil Fish 02:11 17 Apr 06

Nvidia Drivers click here

may also be worth checking your sound card drivers are upto date

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…