Driver Installation - sensible guides sought

DocP 23:22 24 Jun 04

I'm a reasonably experienced Windows user (3.0 to XP Professional) , but have been frustrated time and again by what seem like outrageously obtuse problems installing drivers for various cards.

Experts I've engaged to solve a problem often themselves seen to be in logical darkness, and success seems - to them and me - due to some serendipidous quirk of procedure rather than following a strict road-map.

Does anyone know where I might find a generalised and intelligent account of what is SUPPOSED to happen, of what Windows expects when it searches for drivers, and why it so often tells me that a device is working properly when it patently isn't.

Perhaps if there IS a foolproof system then manufacturers who provide Cd-Roms which simply don't address the issue might like to read how it ought to be done...

...or maybe it's time my brain had an oil-change.

Philip

(Un-Plugged and no longer Playing...)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:28 24 Jun 04

If there was a foolproof system we wouldn't be here reading posts and trying to help anyone and everyone from novices to professionals.

The satisfaction of this site is seeing a tick on a post and note of thanks when someone cures their PC problem.

Hopefully they will reciprocate in kind when we post wit something that is baffling us.

Dragon Heart 00:46 25 Jun 04

Your reference to an oil-change may be not too far off the mark.

The 'problem' with Windows XP is that it appears to have taken away control of the PC from the user. This latest operating system comes with it's own stock of drivers so getting Windows to pick the one you have just installed could be a bit 'hit and miss'.

As many drivers used shared files e.g. DDL's the PC is almost bound to get it's knickers in a twist. I recall one problem with an Epson printer driver and Page Plus from Serif. I had to reinstall the printer driver again to prevent is printing in landscape when I needed portrait.

Removing old unwanted drivers i.e. the oil-change can help. My own 'Windows' folder is now 1.96 Gb in size and contains almost 14,000 files.

One suggestion I do have is to check the driver version on the CD and also on the web site, if the one on the web site is newer download & install that one.

I feel USB has improved things but if your asking for a perfect 'plug & play' PC then go buy yourself an Amiga ........ can't wait for the comments to that !

Dan the Confused 01:15 25 Jun 04

I still don't understand why a lot of hardware doesn't have it's driver hard-coded into the device itself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…