Driver installation problem laptop no floppy drive

geoff47 20:14 21 Jun 05

Today I returned a Wireless adapter and exchanged it for the following.....
A PCI adapter or Ethernet Card.
A length of cable.
And a CardBus PC Card.
I have installed the PCI in my win98 PC along with the drivers.I have plugged the CardBus into the winXP laptop.
My dilemna is that the PCI cards drivers are on a floppy disk,the laptop has no floppy drive.
I have copied the drivers from the card makers website onto CD....but am at a loss what I should do next.
I went through the installation without actually installing the drivers,which are now on a CD.

Help me out please somebody.

mgmcc 20:27 21 Jun 05

When Windows "finds new hardware" and gives the options for the drivers, select to "install from a specific location" and then browse to the aappropriate folder or file on the CD.

If the drivers you downloaded were in a .zip file or self-extracting .exe file, you will almost certainly have to extract them from the compressed zip/exe file first.

geoff47 20:44 21 Jun 05

The problem is the laptop is not detecting new hardware as I got halfway through the installation but without the drivers.When using the new hardware wizard it says "if the device has its own CD to exit the wizard and use the CD" or similar.
When I tried to do just that amongst the files on the CD clicking on "Install" brings up a DOS window.Thats where it beats me...Im lost.
I dont recognise any devices that the wizard finds that are not installed either.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

mgmcc 11:53 22 Jun 05

Are you sure that the card isn't already installed? Windows XP would normally be able to install a basic ethernet adapter from its own driver database, without requiring third party drivers. Check in Device Manager to see if there is an indication of a problem - triangle with exclamation mark or large yellow question mark.

If there is, double click the entry to open its "Properties" select the Driver tab and click the Update Driver box. Then follow the wizard, selecting your CD (or you could copy the files into a folder on the hard drive first) as the source for the drivers. The drivers "disk" may have different folders for Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP etc with the appropriate drivers for you in the XP folder. Possibly look for an .INF file.

geoff47 13:25 22 Jun 05

The Device is not needed anyway and will be going back to the shop,the laptop gas it already.
Many thanks Geoff47

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…