driver installation on acer laptop

timerep 10:34 15 Jul 07

hi guys, me again thanks for the recent advice but I had to wipe the hd in the end and start again. So far so good untill two things the system tab is showing that an ethernet driver isnt there so got thew driver from acer put it in or tried and windows said it couldnt put it in so went on the microsoft updates site it detected there was no driver and provided the correct one. installed it but checking the systems tab still shows its not there. The wireless side of the pc also has had the driver put in and seems to go through all the motions but the wireless isnt there it was working prior to the wipe of the drive but now nothing I have enabled the upnp framework in the firewall in case that was stopping it but no joy. The thing is working on the net via a lan connection as it is showing a network adaptor thats in and running perhaps the ethernet connector refers to the wireless side. Any ideas chaps as its driving me round the bend,programed with windows xp pro with sp2 and all updates from microsoft....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:10 15 Jul 07

Model number of Acer?

ethernet driver usualy refers to a LAN (network adaptor) driver.

Is the wireless switched on? (combination of buttons to switch on on some laptops {Fn + F?})

timerep 18:53 15 Jul 07

the model number is aspire 3614wlmi the ethernet driver is a mystery asits working with the ethernet via a lan connection but the systems tab shows that one is ok but shows another one that isnt, will try the key combinations any other ideas on this...

skidzy 18:58 15 Jul 07

Look for a switch on the front or possibly FN+F2 to activate the wireless.

Do you have a driver and utilities disc ? if so run this.

driving man 19:05 15 Jul 07

On Acer is usually 2nd button from left on the front panel--- should glow when operative
ps its a sliding button which returns to original position

timerep 19:13 15 Jul 07

yep found that but when pressed the message no device comes up on the screen, despite the driver being installed and searching for the device finding it and installing or so it seemed

timerep 19:14 15 Jul 07

have downloaded everything I can from the acer website as I dont have a driver disk but still no joy

timerep 19:18 15 Jul 07

the button is glowing all the time but nothing seems to be happening, as I said worked fine before the wipe now it wont come back?

driving man 19:25 15 Jul 07

does the notification bar (taskbar)show a little single monitorwhich when hovered over should give speed
Als have you unplugged router switched off pc and then turn them both on and let them find each other

timerep 20:20 15 Jul 07

the monitor on the taskbar appears only if the lan is disconnected,re connect it and it will detect the lan and dissapear, from there you have net access via the lan.I am wondering if there is a special order of things you have to do to put certain drivers in, it doesnt say as much on the acer site but its a complete mystery, I have wondered if the wireless unit has popped its clogs so to speak, but all was fine untill the drive was wiped.The drive was wiped due to spyware and error messages keep coming up saying ther was damage to the win 32 generic host.reproged with xp pro from the home edition that was on it and now Im at this stage all up and running save the wireless has gone for a walk and the ethernet seems to be saying to the systems tab its not there or the driver isnt despite being able to connect via lan?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…