Driver error message

watchful 09:47 03 Feb 03

After logging in here today I have the following message in the top panel Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open user default

Does anyone know what it means?

Lozzy 09:58 03 Feb 03

Please can you give us more info on your system? and are you running a network? if yes what version of windows are using??

Have a look in click here the go into the Knowledge Base and look at article 137634

watchful 10:07 03 Feb 03

I can't get into the Microsoft site from your link - just a blank page but I'll look later.
No network just a personal PC 56k dial-up, P4 1.6GHz Proc., 256MB etc. running Windows XP which is regularly updated.

Lozzy 10:18 03 Feb 03

My suggestion would be carry out a "Repair" by booting with the XP CD in your rom and foolow the on screen instructions for Repair..

watchful 10:20 03 Feb 03

I just got through and found Q137634 but I'm afraid I don't understand any of it. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything though and has now changed (the message) to 80004005 unspecified error.

watchful 10:22 03 Feb 03

I've no idea how to do a repair, pardon my ignorance, as my PC came pre-installed with XP, it is only 11 months old. No other problems so far.

Lozzy 10:38 03 Feb 03

You will have received (hopefully) a XP CD when you got your PC.

Insert it into your Rom and re boot and when prompted "press and key to boot from CD" then follow the on screen instructions to carry out the repair.

If you do not get this message and it boots back into windows then go into your BIOS and alter the settings for Boot Options making the CD Rom as 1st Boot device Floppy Drive for 2nd and hard drive as 3rd boot device then exit out and reboot making sure the XP Cd is still in your rom.

Have you tried a Sysytem Restore to an earlier date??

One last question, what were you doing before this error appeared?? and have you downloaded and software recently?? or added any hardware??

jazzypop 10:52 03 Feb 03

Hold on a moment....

DO you only get this error when you enter this site? And does the error appear where there would normally be an advert?

If so, ignore the message completely. It is a programming error on the web page, most likely by the company that 'pushes' ads to this page.

See click here for the technical explanation.

watchful 10:57 03 Feb 03

Lozzy - thanks a lot for your info. and your time.

Jazzypop. You've hit the nail on the head. I just disconnected from the internet and then came back again and the error message has gone. It was in the advert. panel, it's back to the usual ad now.

I was just about to ignore it so thanks a lot for your timely warning.

Sylvia

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…