Driver Detective Software

jail-bird 22:47 29 Jan 06

My ageing W98SE machine is probably in need of updated drivers. I had a scan done at Driver Detective and it threw a few up that were needed (like for the sound which has been giving problems for some time). Is it worth paying $29.95 for this?

Cheers

Totally-braindead 22:53 29 Jan 06

Probably not. Answer one question. Does your computer do all you want? If not do you think updating drivers will help?
The drivers you need are all avilable without buying any special program. Download this click here and it will tell you all you need to know, make/model of motherboard, sound card and graphics card. Then you can find the drivers for yourself if your so inclined. With the help of the Forum of course.
I used to keep my computer up to date with the latest drivers until I ended up with really major problems during a graphics drivers upgrade. Now I'm not so sure that installing new drivers are as great an idea as I used to.

Totally-braindead 22:54 29 Jan 06

Sorry thats 2 questions isn't it.

Zeppelyn 22:54 29 Jan 06

In my experience yes, bought a license about 2 years ago and it still works ok, sure its a one off payment. The results usually give 2 download options and for $30 (£18) it sure beats searching for them all.

jail-bird 22:59 29 Jan 06

Thanks. Yeah I tried to find new sound drivers for my Via chipset VT82C692BX hoping this would sort out the substandard sound on my pc but no luck. Have Belarc Advisor.

Totally-braindead 23:04 29 Jan 06

What motherboard is it? I presume its onboard sound, the newer boards give better onboard sound than the older motherboards so there may not be a cure. One thing that worked for me at least on an older computer I had was to connect it up to an old hifi, the sound improved enormously no crackling or anything.

Kev.Ifty 23:06 29 Jan 06

Totally-braindead beat me to it..

Keep your money in your pocket, or under the mattress! Try the official site here..

click here

Always be suspicious of software that offers to help you by scanning your PC and then telling you how a remedy can be supplied for a small fee. ;-)

If you have any specific problems with W98, then ask away. On this forum there are a number of Windows 98 experts..

Look out for the Main-Man 'Woodchip'. He has helped me quite a few times.

Cheers Kev.

jail-bird 23:08 29 Jan 06

VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C692BX
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
600 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: 693-686
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 03/24/00
Drives Memory Modules c,d
13.64 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
6.16 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8585 [CD-ROM drive]
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (13.64 GB) -- drive 0, No SMART Driver 128 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 128 MB
Slot '1' is Empty
Slot '2' is Empty

jail-bird 23:12 29 Jan 06

OK Kev and all........many thanks.
I'll assume it's the age of the pc is the problem and maybe try running through a hi-fi.

Totally-braindead 23:16 29 Jan 06

Did a quick search to try to identify the motherboard and there appear to be a few possibilities. Is it a branded machine such as Compaq and if so can you see if the model number is on the back. Failing that try Belarc and see if it gives any more info click here or if you have the disk for the motherboard does it say anything on that or you could try the Crucial system scanner it sometimes can identify the motherboard click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…