driver advice needed

cass27 12:00 17 Nov 04

just bought half life 2 and it warned me that my geforce nvidia needed updating or it could harm the game. instructionds on how to do this are vague as it doesn't seem to have worked:

a) do I open or save to computer. If save where do I save to?

b)under hints it tells me to remove display drivers first. I have two lots. One lot called WDD and one called windows xp display drivers. do I delete both. I almost did the latter and it warnwed me I would be removing the whol thing.

I have tried to download update twice/ once without removing display stuff (oops) and the second time removing first lot-both by saving to nvidia. They dont show up on control panel and half life still tells me my video is out of date.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time

Gongoozler 12:44 17 Nov 04

Hi cass27. The usual method of updating video drivers is as follows.

First download the new driver to your desktop. This is an exe file and will just sit there waiting for your next move.

Next go to Control Panel and use Add or Remove Programs. Remove any drivers. WDD is Windows Display Drivers. I don't know why you have the XP Display Drivers as well, I only have the one. When you remove the drivers, Windows will use the default VGA driver and you will have a very low resolution screen with only 256 colours.

Reboot the computer, don't let Windows find the driver for new hardware detected.

Double-click on the exe file you put on your desktop. This should start the new driver installation. When the installation is complte Windows should find the new driver for your graphics card, but you should be prompted on what to do at each stage.

You don't say where you downloaded your new driver from, but it is generally recommended that you download from the card makers site rather than the chip maker (Nvidia)

Completealias 13:09 17 Nov 04

I had a prob with the latest nvida driver from there site ended up using the 61.76 version rather than 61.77 as the 61.76 was xp tested and 61.77 kept giving me probs.

Follow what gongoozler has said and all should be fine

Stuartli 13:52 17 Nov 04

I have the nVidia 61.77 driver - been in use for about five weeks - and have not encountered any problems. It isn't digitally signed as you state.

cass27 14:57 17 Nov 04

thanks folks

gongoozler - I am going to try what you have said and when I have to remove drivers I will remove the windows xp display still there

SurfMonkey _#:@} 15:24 17 Nov 04

if you use 61.77 don`t forget to use directx 9. or higher

woodchip 15:49 17 Nov 04

Instead of rebooting after you remove the old driver just double click the EXE file on the desktop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…