Drive with XP in computer with Vista

monsterman89 18:18 19 Apr 08

Hey guys,

I've recently bought a new computer which has Vista preinstalled on it which I have no problems with. At the time I moved over my old E:\ drive (SATA II) which had all my data on, into the new computer.

I was wondering what would happen if I put my old C:\ drive which has XP on, in my new machine, in the third SATA slot? Obviously there'd be two operating systems on two different drives????

MonsterMan

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 19 Apr 08

Obviously there'd be two operating systems on two different drives????

yes but it will only boot from the drive in the SATA 1 port.

To make it boot from the other drive you will need to edit the vista boot loader and more importantly change the drivers in XP to suit the new machine.

However you will still be able to access any data / photos on the drive just not run any programs that are installed on the drive until you do the above.

setecio 20:43 19 Apr 08

>>>> and more importantly change the drivers in XP to suit the new machine. <<<<<

How could that be done ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:33 19 Apr 08

Disable drivers before removing from old PC
then fit in new PC
boot into XP and run the motherboard CD and install graphics divers for new PC.

setecio 13:02 21 Apr 08

That is interesting. So I could take out of any machine a hard drive with XP installed, after disabling the drivers, and put it in a new machine and install the new drivers.

Is there an easy way to disable all the drivers ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 21 Apr 08

Is there an easy way to disable all the drivers ?

No

Sometimes if you are very lucky, you can fit the drive boot straight to safe mode uninstall the drivers run the CD and install the new drivers.
But quite often it wont boot at all if drivers are not disabled BEFORE removing from old machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…